Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #149718
View in linear mode

Subject: "Landing?" Previous topic | Next topic
Hycgelac Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2008Tue 01-Jan-13 12:53 PM
576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Landing?"
Tue 01-Jan-13 12:59 PM by Hycgelac

Oxford, US

With apologies for the quality of these shots. They shots present a curious question: How did the Titmouse land flatfooted without any spread wings? The shots are in the order they happened. D300 with Nikon 300/4 and 1.4TC at f4, 1/800, ISO 1600.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showmembers.php?si=Hycgelac&x=16&y=8&perpage=12&sort=2&cat=500&limit=&ppuser=&sl

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Landing?
Antero52 Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
Hycgelac Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
kenray Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator
04th Jan 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
04th Jan 2013

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 01-Jan-13 08:21 PM
2522 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Landing?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 01-Jan-13 08:22 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

When you look at bigger birds landing, such as eagles, ospreys, gulls or herons, you see that they often approach the landing site from below, finally converting kinetic energy to potential energy and stopping a short distance above the landing site. My guess is that this one stopped a small distance above the landing site, folded its wings and let gravity take care of the rest.

Another explanation is that Santa brought you Photoshop and you wanted to see what it's good for.

Regards, Antero

Hycgelac Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 06:29 PM
576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Landing?"
In response to Reply # 1

Oxford, US

It probably wouldn't surprise you that when a friend saw the picture, he opened his Photoshop app and took out the space between the board and the feet—the very thing that makes me
like the shot.

Your explanation may well be correct. My problem is that the sunflower seed in the beak would probably not be there on landing because that is what he lands to retrieve in the first place. Ah, well, thanks for your thoughts.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showmembers.php?si=Hycgelac&x=16&y=8&perpage=12&sort=2&cat=500&limit=&ppuser=&sl

kenray Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2008Fri 04-Jan-13 12:14 AM
202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Landing?"
In response to Reply # 2

Green Valley, US

As I told you it's just a figgermint of your imagination.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 04-Jan-13 01:23 AM
11553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Landing?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

My guess would be, after watching a lot of small birds at feeders, is that he is not landing from “flight.” He probably landed on the side of the feeder, out of your site, picked up the seed and then hopped over to the corner where you captured him.

It is pretty common to see small birds hopping around a feeder.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Fri 04-Jan-13 01:25 AM
3076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Landing?"
In response to Reply # 4

McEwen, US

>My guess would be, after watching a lot of small birds at
>feeders, is that he is not landing from “flight.” He probably
>landed on the side of the feeder, out of your site, picked up
>the seed and then hopped over to the corner where you captured
>him.
>
>It is pretty common to see small birds hopping around a
>feeder.
>

That's what I think too.

Or Antero may be right.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #149718 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.