nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Flash for bird wildlife with a long lens advice please.

richardd300

Dyserth, UK
3740 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009
Fri 07-Dec-12 03:27 PM

I hardly ever use my SB800 flash since I bought wide aperture lenses as I find I can achieve desired images without it even indoors. In the gloom of winter things get harder with good light at a premium.

As some will have seen in my Waxwing images I used for the first time a flash on my D7000 with a 300mm f4 lens. I was impressed, as gone were the inevitable silhouetted images when taken towards a white or bright sky background. I left the flash on TTL BL in auto and at about 30ft the light was adequate. I also want to use it with my D800 for birding as well.

I would like to take this technique further, especially in our local reserve, as there are many dark corners where birds feed and sun and light don't reach. I would be grateful for advice please relating to the limitations, techniques and settings appropriate to using a flash on long lenses for the birds, both static and in flight please.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Flash for bird wildlife with a long lens advice ple...

G