Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #148755
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash assisted Waxwings!" Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 06-Dec-12 11:07 AM
3104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash assisted Waxwings!"

Dyserth, GB

UK Bad light...again and raining. Thousands of Waxwings have descended on us in North Wales from Northern Scandinavia, a rare sight indeed. At my local reserve the weather is so dull I tried something I've never done with birds before, used my SB800, coupled to a D7000 with a 300mm f4. I know I should have stopped down to f8, but seeing as it was handheld, no VR I am well pleased

Richard

Nikon D7000 - 300mm f4 - 1/250 @ f4 - ISO250 - SB800.

Nikon D7000 - 300mm f4 - 1/320 @ f4 - ISO250 - SB800.

Nikon D7000 - 300mm f4 - 1/400 @ f4 - ISO250 - SB800.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash assisted Waxwings!
VR8 Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
cockers Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
jot2nik Gold Member
06th Dec 2012
richardd300 Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
07th Dec 2012
richardd300 Silver Member
07th Dec 2012

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 06-Dec-12 11:21 AM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash assisted Waxwings!"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 06-Dec-12 12:52 PM
4034 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash assisted Waxwings!"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Very nice Richard.

Al

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Thu 06-Dec-12 01:04 PM
755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash assisted Waxwings!"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Richard, beautiful subjects and nice shots.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 06-Dec-12 01:23 PM
3104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash assisted Waxwings!"
In response to Reply # 3

Dyserth, GB

Thanks guys, it made my day as I have never seen a Waxwing and can now cross it off my list. Time to hunt the elusive Grey Phalarope

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 06-Dec-12 10:44 PM
2488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flash assisted Waxwings!"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

So it's you who got out waxwings. Nice to see that you're feeding them well. Did I say "nice pictures".

FWIW, my father sent an e-mail of four dead waxwings under the windows of their house. A biologist friend confirmed that this is what you get for flying around under the influence. The poor birds were loaded with fermented juice from the berries and flew into windows.

Regards, Antero

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 07-Dec-12 01:21 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Flash assisted Waxwings!"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Very nice, Richard. Glad to see you using the old D7k; much better than when you first started.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 07-Dec-12 06:59 AM
#7. "RE: Flash assisted Waxwings!"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 07-Dec-12 07:01 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Antero. Thanks and I've heard of drunken birds before. It was good to see some colour on a dull, wet and dismal day. Once the berries have gone and Spring arrives you can have them back, but thanks for the loan.

John. Thanks. The D7K is very lonely since I got the D800, so I gave it an outing! It was pouring down and the 7000 has body armour, also the birds were only 30 ft away so with the flash I could keep the ISO down and thus the noise. It's my second body now as the D800 does everything so much better

Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #148755 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.