nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #148733
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fall Wood Ducks" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 05-Dec-12 05:16 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fall Wood Ducks"

Ottawa, CA

Both photos taken with 70-200 and 1.7 TC. First Duck was exposed at f8 @ 1/250sec ISO 400; Second at F10 @ 1/125sec and ISO 400.

Took a few visits to get 7 shots total with color, contrast, perfect sky and ducks all in one place!

I am finding that for my website the sharpening works but on this website my photos look a little too sharp. I believe its a function of the downsizing technique and cropping. I hope the results will be better next year with a longer lens and as I experiment with new downsizing techniques and Nik tonal contrast. Suggestions welcome on downsizing techniques!

Thanks

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Fall Wood Ducks
danshep Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
Rassie Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
jimmills Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
cockers Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
jot2nik Gold Member
06th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
06th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
07th Dec 2012

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberWed 05-Dec-12 05:49 PM
1357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

Very nice.

Which camera did u use?

I like #1 bet. The colors in the water.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 05-Dec-12 05:54 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 1

Ottawa, CA

It was a D7000.

Victor

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 05-Dec-12 09:11 PM
3041 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

Nice shots, Victor.
I like the colour saturation in the first picture, but I like the lower contrast better in the second. It shows more detail in the dark tones.

I notice a slight roughness (almost graininess) in your pictures. This is something that I have noticed that has become more and more prominent with my newer cameras (maybe it's a feature of higher mexapixel sensors?). My D90 showed more of this than my D70S, and then again there's more of this with my D7K than with the D90. I reduce this "roughness" by increasing the masking feature in the sharpening portion of Photoshop ACR during post (I shoot RAW), and also by increasing the luminance slider in the noise reduction portion of ACR. I would actually appreciate if some of our more experienced post-processing members can comment on this, since I don't quite understand it myself.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 05-Dec-12 10:14 PM
#4. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 05-Dec-12 11:08 PM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

You maybe on to something. Using a slightly different shot, I tried the sharpening mask. I used define for noise reduction nik tonal contrast (at very low levels (15 for highlights midtones, and shadow, and 0 on saturation), I used CS5 image re-size to 1200 on the long size, then save for web. The only thing I did not do was another sharpening for web (something another website -Cambridge in Color -recommends.) The crop is pretty big but not 50%. That could be an issue and why I have gone to a larger lens. I think this is better and the issue is the sharpening pre-save for web.

Victor

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2010Wed 05-Dec-12 11:32 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 4

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

Good catch! Wood ducks are such a beautiful bird.

Jim

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 06-Dec-12 12:21 AM
#6. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 5

Ottawa, CA

Thanks much appreciated.

Victor

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 06-Dec-12 01:51 PM
4361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Excellent captures Victor!

Al

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 06-Dec-12 06:05 PM
#9. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 7

Ottawa, CA

Thanks much appreciated.

Victor

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Thu 06-Dec-12 02:07 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Victor, nice work and love the colors.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 06-Dec-12 06:06 PM
#10. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 8

Ottawa, CA

Much appreciated.

Victor

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 06-Dec-12 11:38 PM
2546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 10
Thu 06-Dec-12 11:39 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

That was a real fireworks of color and detail. I agree with Rassie in that it makes little sense to sharpen non-detail areas, in which much of the pixel-to-pixel variation is noise.

Regards, Antero

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Fri 07-Dec-12 02:07 PM
#12. "RE: Fall Wood Ducks"
In response to Reply # 11

Ottawa, CA

Agreed. I often apply tonal contrast in specific areas, as I work through my process and see where the weaknesses are this is one thing I need to work on, selective sharpening.

I appreciate all the comments.

Victor

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #148733 Previous topic | Next topic