nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #148323
View in linear mode

Subject: "Young Leopard" Previous topic | Next topic
rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 01:26 AM
1512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Young Leopard"
Wed 28-Nov-12 02:24 AM by rbsandor

Denver, US

On a trip to Africa I pushed the camera's ability in terms of ISO. Here are two shots of a young leopard drinking at a pool. It was late in the day and we were in shade. The camera was a D4 and I was shooting in manual and Auto ISO. The first shot is at ISO 12,800. The second is at 8,000. I did a bit of NR in the water on the first and none in the second. Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Young Leopard
Gamecocks
28th Nov 2012
Scotty45 Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
treadwl Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
Watto Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
rb4good Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
rbsandor Gold Member
28th Nov 2012
Lunastar Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
28th Nov 2012
rbsandor Gold Member
28th Nov 2012
Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
29th Nov 2012
vcottman Silver Member
29th Nov 2012
rbsandor Gold Member
30th Nov 2012
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
02nd Dec 2012
rbsandor Gold Member
02nd Dec 2012
massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
02nd Dec 2012
Silversmith
02nd Dec 2012
TerryMc Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
rbsandor Gold Member
03rd Dec 2012
brada Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
af4nc Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
rbsandor Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
qanik Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
rbsandor Gold Member
06th Dec 2012
nscraigie
06th Dec 2012
rbsandor Gold Member
06th Dec 2012
nscraigie
07th Dec 2012
rbsandor Gold Member
07th Dec 2012
nscraigie
08th Dec 2012

Gamecocks Registered since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 28-Nov-12 02:05 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

That must have been a great experience. Thanks for sharing these wonderful shots.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Wed 28-Nov-12 02:07 AM
1376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Great shots Richard. I'm not familiar with the D4, but it seems to handle the high iso settings quite comfortably. They are nice sharp images. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned....Scotty.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

treadwl Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 28-Nov-12 02:26 AM
1737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 2

Sunrise, US

Love the first one. It must have been chilling to be thqt close and experience this first hand.

Larry

Watto Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2010Wed 28-Nov-12 09:48 AM
606 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Dongara, AU

Hi Richard , Great looking animal and the photos do it justice. They are sharp for such a "push"

Cheers Glen

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 28-Nov-12 01:58 PM
4532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Beautiful animal and great capture,Richard. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Rick

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 03:01 PM
1512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Thanks to all for looking and commenting. It's appreciated. It is wonderful to see these animals in their element and to be able to capture them in less than great conditions. Thanks again, Richard

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Wed 28-Nov-12 05:31 PM
3311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 6

Mankato, US

Very well done, Richard! I like # 2 best and agree that sometimes a beautiful subject like this should be photographed in whatever light you have.

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Wed 28-Nov-12 05:58 PM
2545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Very nice shots. How did you find the leopard? Is this a wildlife resort or did you team up with rangers?

Regards, Antero

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 10:15 PM
#9. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Mark and Antero: thanks for the comments. On this type of trip, you definitely have to take things as they are. Having great gear makes it alot easier.
Antero, these photos were taken at on of the five camps in the Lower Zambesi National Park in Zambia. All these camps are geared at getting you to the animals in Land Rovers or Jeeps. Once there, you can just look or snap away. The camp I was at is called Chiawa. They try and put folks with like interests in the same vehicle. From experience, they've learned that photographers are much more content to wait around for the animal to to do something, whereas the lookers only may be more likely to want to move on to the next sighting. If you'd like some contacts who arrange these trips throughout southern Africa, send me an email. Richard

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 29-Nov-12 12:10 AM
2545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 9

Vantaa, FI

Thank you, Richard

I'd love to see African wildlife. My wife is a forest economy engineer and she likes places with healthy forests and tall trees. It may take a while to convince her that Africa will be our next "dream tour" target.

Regards, Antero

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Thu 29-Nov-12 02:50 AM
7331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Great series Richard! I like #1 best. Amazing shots at that ISO. Going to try to squeeze in a couple of hours of shooting tomorrow before going to the airport.

Good shootin'

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Fri 30-Nov-12 07:43 PM
#12. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 11

Denver, US

Vaughn: thanks for the comments. Will you be around this weekend? Richard

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 02-Dec-12 03:54 AM
11738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Wow, great shots!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Sun 02-Dec-12 10:12 PM
#14. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Vaughn and Dave: thanks for the comments. Richard

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sun 02-Dec-12 10:16 PM
10876 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

Fantastic work at those ISo's looks like an overcast day.. Wish that I could afford or justify that camera, Im waiting for the D400 I hope

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D610

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

Silversmith Registered since 15th Sep 2007Sun 02-Dec-12 10:58 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Sammamish, US

Hi Richard,
These are wonderful photos. You were fortunate to have such an unobstructed view of the leopard. And it's awake and active (the benefit of seeing it at the end of the day)! The second photo with the cat looking back over its shoulder and the tip of the tail poking up captures its felineness.

Joan

TerryMc Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2008Sun 02-Dec-12 11:23 PM
757 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Sagamore Hills, US

Very nice and at such a high ISO.

Terence

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Mon 03-Dec-12 05:48 PM
#18. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Preston, Joan and Terry: thanks for the comments. They are appreciated. Richard

brada Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2008Mon 03-Dec-12 10:05 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Very nice and I am jealous... I get nervous when I push my ISO to and past 800 with my D300.

http://www.bradaphotography.com
my Nikonians gallery.

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Tue 04-Dec-12 11:59 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Beautiful shots, I'd love to be there to shoot.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Tue 04-Dec-12 11:33 PM
#21. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Brada and Tom: thanks for taking the time to look and comment. The camera is really something special. Richard

qanik Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2007Thu 06-Dec-12 07:34 AM
220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Smithers/Stewart, CA

Hi Richard
lovely shots especially at such a high iso, what lens did you use and what if any hassles did you have getting your lenses over to Africa
Michael

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Thu 06-Dec-12 02:52 PM
#23. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Michael: thanks for the comment and the question. First, to answer your question, the lens was the 200-400. The problem of carry on luggage isn't in getting to Africa, it's when you're traveling within Africa.
I've been to Africa once before, so I've learned to pare things down. You can cover all the bases with 2 bodies, a 70-200, the 200-400, a 1.4TC and a short zoom for shooting around camp.
Traveling within Africa you're often limited to 5to 8 Kilos for carry on whether flying on 12 seaters or 737s. To meet this limit, I put virtually all the contents of the camera bag (except for a body and the 200-400) into a vest made by the Vested Interest. I had the vest customized to hold the 70-200 and a body separated from each other. I end up looking like the Pillsbury Doughboy, but everything goes on board with me. Hope this helps and if you need additional info, please feel free to email me. Richard

nscraigie Registered since 04th Jan 2010Thu 06-Dec-12 03:18 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

DE

Great shots indeed. I would be interested in knowing your set up and objective you used. I have just returned from a short safari in Timbavati-Kruger private nature reserve SA and use a D90 with a Sigma 50-500 OS. I am very please with the versatility and sharpness. I will post some shots later, but here is one taken with´at 500mm handheld.
Neil

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Thu 06-Dec-12 05:00 PM
#25. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Neil: thanks for commenting. That's a very nice shot of the wild dogs. If you read the post immediately above yours, you'll get a fairly comprehensive list of the gear I brought along. If you can be more specific, I'll be glad to reply. Richard

nscraigie Registered since 04th Jan 2010Fri 07-Dec-12 01:56 PM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 25

DE

Thanks for replying Richard. I assume from your comments you used the Nikon 200-400 VR:
1. Is this so?; 2. Did you use a tripod or monopod?; 3. what speed and f stop did your high iso setting trigger on?; 4. what Nikon body did yoú use?
Sorry for being so nosy.
Neil

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Fri 07-Dec-12 03:02 PM
#27. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 07-Dec-12 03:03 PM by rbsandor

Denver, US

Neil: I'm happy to supply the details. The first shot was at f/8 and 1/800s. The second was at f/8 and 1/500. The camera lens combo was a D4 and 200-400 supported on a monopod with a ballhead and Wimberley Sidekick. I was able to drop the shutter speed on the second shot because by then the motor of the jeep had been turned off.
I prefer to shoot in Camera Manual and Auto ISO. That way, I can set the shutter speed and control depth of field as desired for a particular shot, while letting the ISO float. All three parameters are displayed in the viewfinder and are easily adjusted as needed.
One final suggestion, if you are planning this type of trip is to get 2 Manfrotto Super Clamps without stud and one 061 RA stud. This stud allows you to join the clamps at a right angle to each other. One clamp is attached to the monopod and the second to the rail of the seat in front of you. It is very stable. Hope this helps. Richard

nscraigie Registered since 04th Jan 2010Sat 08-Dec-12 11:35 PM
#28. "RE: Young Leopard"
In response to Reply # 27

DE

Thanks Richard for information. Interesting suggestions, I will investigate for the Future.
On previous Safari s I used bean bag and or monopod, which works well in good light for the Sigma 50-500 OS.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #148323 Previous topic | Next topic