Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #148028
View in linear mode

Subject: "Some days are better than others!" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 22-Nov-12 01:11 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Some days are better than others!"
Fri 23-Nov-12 12:41 AM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

Revised: Beaver and Waxwing - less cropped less sharpening

Getting cold up here so I am out every day trying to take advantage before the real chill hits.

Beaver 70-200mm, ISO 100, f2.8, 1/250th, Sb-900

Pileated Woodpecker 70-200mm, ISO 125, f3.2, 1/520th, Sb-900

Bohemian Waxwing 70-200mm, ISO 640, F9, 1/250th Sb-900

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Some days are better than others!
Antero52 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2012
VR8 Silver Member
22nd Nov 2012
Dubes Silver Member
22nd Nov 2012
VR8 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2012
vcottman Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
Scotty45 Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
VR8 Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
cockers Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
rb4good Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
VR8 Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
rb4good Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
VR8 Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
rb4good Silver Member
25th Nov 2012

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 22-Nov-12 01:58 PM
2530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 23-Nov-12 01:39 AM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

These are all very nice shots. But you appear to have pushed the sharpening pedal to the metal. May I suggest you try a little less sharpening (or maybe a lot less)?

Regards, Antero

EDIT: Your replacement photos look very nice indeed.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Thu 22-Nov-12 02:03 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 1

Ottawa, CA

I was wondering what happened. I used my usual down sizing technique. I will reprocess tonight and see if I can fix this. Thanks. Really like your shots, so thanks for the advice. Lots to learn.

Victor

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Thu 22-Nov-12 11:08 PM
6005 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Nice shot of the Pileated Victor. How much did you crop the images, especially the beaver? Looks quite noisy, but you were shooting at ISO100.

So you're not looking forward to donning your snowmobile boots and parka and crawling in the snow with frozen fingertips looking for the shutter release? Since I took up bird photography, I've found I enjoy winters more than in the past - granted, I know it can get a little bit colder in the Ottawa area vs. the Toronto area.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Fri 23-Nov-12 12:39 AM
#4. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 3

Ottawa, CA

Thank you.I am a long time admirer of your photography.

Two of my original shots seem to have been sharpened twice,I have replaced them.

With respect to Winter grateful any advice, especially as involves protecting equipment when going in and out of Tim Hortons (would really appreciate some advice about winter photography re: protecting equipment).

Victor

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 24-Nov-12 12:47 AM
7258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Nice series Victor,

Thanks for sharing,

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Sat 24-Nov-12 01:12 AM
1367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Nice shots Victor. I may be a bit crazy, but give me your winter for our summer anytime. Thick gloves might make camera adjustments tricky, but i'd find a way....Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 24-Nov-12 10:55 AM
#7. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 6

Ottawa, CA

I'll bite what"s the problem with summer down your way!
Some winters are mild and we only have a few days of -20C, but we are due for a hard one this year. I am looking for some good advice on handling cold and cameras!

Victor

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sat 24-Nov-12 11:03 AM
4338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 24-Nov-12 11:04 AM by cockers

Plover, US

Nice captures Victor.

Al

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 24-Nov-12 09:06 PM
4349 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Nice images,Victor. If you're looking for more reach,I've heard that the series 3 2X extender works well with the 70-200. I have no personal experience with it though I do use the 1.7 tc with very good results on that lens.

Rick

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 24-Nov-12 09:16 PM
#10. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 24-Nov-12 09:17 PM by VR8

Ottawa, CA

thanks and yes indeed. I have had some luck with both. I also have a new longer lens. But the things you need are not always with yo . The 2.0 is a real push on the 70-200. I find at F9 its okay, if the subject is close enough. But with the 300 2.8 I hope to do much better next spring (not the kind of thing I would risk below zero - which is the forecast from now to March!

Victor

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 24-Nov-12 09:57 PM
4349 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 10

Rocky Hill, US

Zero "C" is not bad. I often shoot at or below that temp with no problems as far as equipment goes. Layered clothing,layered gloves.I've found that golfers winter gloves,which you can get in pairs,are my inner most glove layer and I pull off my outer gloves and can leave them on and still manage the camera controls.
I did break a Gitzo tripod(the body frame that holds the legs)in -5 degrees "F" temps but managed to find a part to repair it.

Rick

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 24-Nov-12 11:33 PM
#12. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 11

Ottawa, CA

Specific question: what do you do about humidity and fogging. Going into and out of warm environments into the cold?

I have both a d300 and a D7000. I know about protecting batteries, its the damage to to the Cameras and lens (FX and DX) I worry about.

Victor

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sun 25-Nov-12 12:42 AM
#13. "RE: Some days are better than others!"
In response to Reply # 12

Rocky Hill, US

Someone came up with an excellent explanation a while ago. I did a search for "lens fogging" and found this. There are a lot more threads to look at if you want to spend the time. I normally just keep my gear bagged until it is acclimated.Most often,the drive to where ever I'm going is long enough to accomplish this because I don't blast the heat and keep a window cracked open. The worst place I go is to a butterfly conservatory in Feb. and have to keep it bagged for at least 45 minutes due to the extreme temp change.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=146&topic_id=166846&prev_page=show_topic&gid=166846#166861

Rick

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #148028 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.