nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #147989
View in linear mode

Subject: "D800 feedback please" Previous topic | Next topic
wildpix Registered since 09th Jan 2009Tue 20-Nov-12 02:30 PM
139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D800 feedback please"

Nairobi, KE

Hi all
major disaster last week when D3X attached to a 600mm f/4 took a 15ft dive off a terrace.
Was insured, but am left without a body at mo. Not keen on going for another D3X when in theory it shouldnt be too long before replacement comes out. Has anyone here any experience with D800 after using D3x, specificaally for wildlife. Any feedback appreciated, either here or thru email

was in a lodge in Tanzania and very depressed when presented with amazing ops for shots but no camera,( came with bare min in hand luggage as was here for work)

cheers

Martin Best
Kenya/Tanzania Wildlife Safaris tailor-made for photographers
Coming to Kenya?
Nikon Equipment available for short/long term rental
600 f/4- 300-400 f/2.8-200f/2 (800 f/5.6 when available)
Landrovers purpose built for Photographers in mind, available with or without drivers.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Wed 21-Nov-12 12:12 AM
1545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D800 feedback please"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Martin: I can't provide a direct comparison between the D3X and D800, but can offer some thoughts re the D800 having just used one (along with a D4) on safari. A check on Nikonusa site, indicated that the D800 has a frame rate that is about 1fps slower than the D3X when shooting in either DX or FX mode.
The resolution, dynamic range and high ISO usability are excellent. Images taken at ISO 6400 are easily cleaned in post and yield beautiful results. What amazed me was how much detail could be pulled up out of shadows.
My thoughts are that if you are already used to a lower frame rate, then the D800 will serve you well. Here's an example of an image taken at ISO 4000. Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

wildpix Registered since 09th Jan 2009Thu 22-Nov-12 06:44 PM
139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D800 feedback please"
In response to Reply # 1

Nairobi, KE

wow, impressive, any chance of sending me a copy of the nef file?

thanks for the info, i figured as much but just thought i would check. Not too worried about frame rate, was more concerned on focus tracking etc
cheers

Martin Best
Kenya/Tanzania Wildlife Safaris tailor-made for photographers
Coming to Kenya?
Nikon Equipment available for short/long term rental
600 f/4- 300-400 f/2.8-200f/2 (800 f/5.6 when available)
Landrovers purpose built for Photographers in mind, available with or without drivers.

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Fri 23-Nov-12 04:49 AM
1545 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D800 feedback please"
In response to Reply # 1

Denver, US

Martin: happy to send the you the NEF. Tell me how to send a very large file to you. Richard

texspeel Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Thu 22-Nov-12 07:22 PM
355 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D800 feedback please"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 23-Nov-12 02:03 AM by texspeel

Fairfax Station, US

Martin,
I've never had a D3x but do have a D800 that continues to boggle the mind with its resolution. When it first came out, I made the statement that "I don't need 36 MP." However, after being wowed by examples of what it would do, I broke down and bought one.
Last weekend, after shooting photos of bald eagles in flight while they were fishing for about 4 hours with my D3s, I decided to try my D800. Later during post processing of the D800 photos of an eagle with a fish in its talons that I shot from probably 30-40 yards away, I noticed what I thought were dust specks in the frame. However, after checking several shots in the sequence, I noticed that they did not appear in every frame and, when they did occur, were in different positions in the frame. So, I went back to the first photo in which I noticed the specks and after zooming in to more than 100% and doing further inspection, I realized that what I was seeing was small blood droplets falling from the fish where the eagle's talons had penetrated the scales. So, like many others, I can't say enough good things about the D800.
The only thing that I would change is I would significantly increase the frame rate, but since that's not an issue for you, I think you'd be extremely pleased with it.
Best regards,
Tom

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #147989 Previous topic | Next topic