nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #147876
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pretty Boy" Previous topic | Next topic
massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sun 18-Nov-12 02:30 PM
10895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pretty Boy"

Tampa/Lutz, US

Another one of my local residents looking for work...
D300
Tamron 18-270
F5.6
@1/1000
-.33EV
PP in OneOne 7 and CS6
I know that this sounds crazy - I need a lens with a faster AF
Dont know what to get
I have the 80-400VC
Tamron 18-270 as my work horses....

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D610

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Pretty Boy
rb4good Silver Member
18th Nov 2012
massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th Nov 2012
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
19th Nov 2012
massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
19th Nov 2012
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
19th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012
Snapshott Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
19th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012
rb4good Silver Member
19th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
19th Nov 2012
19th Nov 2012

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sun 18-Nov-12 02:49 PM
4560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Preston,unless you want to spend thousands,the 300F4 in close is excellent,add a Nikon 1.4 tc and it is still excellent and with a Nikon 1.7tc it is still very good.

Nice shot,by the way.

Rick

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sun 18-Nov-12 03:41 PM
10895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 1

Tampa/Lutz, US

Would that be a lot better than the 80-400 at the 400mm x1.5 crop factor = 600mm at 6.3. Does it focus appreciable faster. I hear it still hunts !!!
I get good results with the room It's got to be better with the prime

My Website

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 12:06 AM
6108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Lots of details in the whites still Preston, well done on the PP. Nice colour in the water.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Mon 19-Nov-12 12:16 AM
#4. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 3

Tampa/Lutz, US

Thank you Richard, Me thinks Im going to buy the 300mm F4 with TC

My Website

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 12:23 AM
6108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 4

Mississauga, CA

I don't think you can wrong with that combo for the price. I have the old AF (not AF-S) version and it is sharp lens. I think you'll find focus acquisition will be a little faster that the 70-400mm.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Mon 19-Nov-12 12:46 AM
#6. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 5

Tampa/Lutz, US

There are not many for sale!!!!

My Website

Snapshott Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Sep 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 01:00 AM
398 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 6

Richmond, US

I picked mine up from KEH a few months ago and couldn't be happier. I quick search and they don't have any in stock right now. Good luck.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Mon 19-Nov-12 02:11 PM
#10. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 5

Tampa/Lutz, US

Hope its a lot faster just ordered one!!!

My Website

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 01:53 AM
11752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice work Preston!

If you have to stay in that price range the 300/f4 + TC is probably your best choice.

If you can swing it, the Sigma 120-300/f2.8 (either older DG or the new DG OS) would be a truly significant move up in both image quality and focus speed from the 80-400. With a Sigma 1.4TC you get 170-420mm at f4 (with the DX crop factor, your D300, that is 255-630mm equivalent.) You would be surprised at how much it helps, both focus and shutter speed, to have an f/4 lens at 400mm.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Mon 19-Nov-12 02:10 PM
#9. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 8

Tampa/Lutz, US

Just ordered a new F4 300mm with 1.4 Nikon TC
excited to be a big boy now!!! Though not as big as some of you all!!!!! LOL

My Website

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 06:47 PM
4560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 19-Nov-12 06:49 PM by rb4good

Rocky Hill, US

Sorry for not getting back sooner. That combo you just ordered is significantly faster than the 80-400mm IMO and even with the 1.7tc will usually out focus the 80-400 IMO.(that is with Nikon tcs,I don't know about off brands). No VR is the only downside that I can think of but it has pushed me to use my tripod more often.

Rick

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Mon 19-Nov-12 06:57 PM
#12. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 11

Tampa/Lutz, US

Only problem is the cost of the TC's it 499 for the 1.4 1/4 the cost of the lens new..

My Website

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 10:19 PM
11752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 9

Lowden, US

I think you are going to very happy with that combo.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Mon 19-Nov-12 10:36 PM
#14. "RE: Pretty Boy"
In response to Reply # 13

Tampa/Lutz, US

Thanks

My Website

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #147876 Previous topic | Next topic