nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #145794
View in linear mode

Subject: "Big Cats in East Africa" Previous topic | Next topic
avidude Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 19th Mar 2007 Mon 24-Sep-12 12:47 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Big Cats in East Africa"

I spent 13 days is Kenya in early Aug. Lake Nakuru National Park and several regions of the Maasai Mara. Here are a couple big cats photographed near Mara Serena Resort. An Unbelievable place to photograph wildlife of all types

Constructive comments are welcome, as I will do this trip again.

Visit my East Africa gallery for more.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Big Cats in East Africa landism
24th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Big Cats in East Africa Reilly M
24th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Big Cats in East Africa niknac37 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
24th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Big Cats in East Africa treadwl Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
     Reply message RE: Big Cats in East Africa avidude Silver Member
25th Sep 2012
          Reply message RE: Big Cats in East Africa jtmcg Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
25th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Big Cats in East Africa Gamecocks Silver Member
24th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Big Cats in East Africa vcottman Silver Member
30th Sep 2012
Reply message RE: Big Cats in East Africa af4nc Gold Member
03rd Oct 2012

landism   CA  Registered since 22nd Oct 2011 Mon 24-Sep-12 03:05 AM
476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Big Cats in East Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

two absolutely fantastic captures!

Reilly M   Monrovia, US  Registered since 26th Jul 2008 Mon 24-Sep-12 03:31 AM
983 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Big Cats in East Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

DANG! Did you pet 'em too? Woo-Hoo! Sweet!

yours,
Reilly

The only stupid question is the one you should have asked....

niknac37 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Mysore, IN  Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007 Mon 24-Sep-12 09:20 AM
1916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Big Cats in East Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

Superb pictures Ted, Could you manage full shot of Cheetah, you were in a strategic position looks like, Cheetah at higher plain than you. You had that golden light too.

You took me back to my trip in June. Looking forward for more. TFS

Pakku

treadwl Silver Member  Sunrise, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Mon 24-Sep-12 11:07 PM
1806 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Big Cats in East Africa"
In response to Reply # 3

The images are stunning in color, clarity and resolution. I'd be happy with any of them.

I much prefer the lion as I think the crop is better. While the cheetah has compelling eyes and great light, to me the image looks chopped off. Just my opinion---I'll be interested in what others say.;

Thanks for sharing.

Larry

avidude Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 19th Mar 2007 Tue 25-Sep-12 01:19 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Big Cats in East Africa"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 25-Sep-12 02:09 AM by avidude

>The images are stunning in color, clarity and resolution.
>I'd be happy with any of them.
>
>I much prefer the lion as I think the crop is better. While
>the cheetah has compelling eyes and great light, to me the
>image looks chopped off. Just my opinion---I'll be
>interested in what others say.;
>
>Thanks for sharing.
>
>Larry

Larry and Pakku - Thanks for your comments. I too struggled with the crop. Below is the whole frame. Love to know what you all would have done with it.

I love the light, angle, and expression on her face so I tried to save the shot. The cheetah was on the roof of an adjacent Land Cruiser she was moving around a lot and there was little time to compose.

I have many other great shots, maybe I should have scrapped this one.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jtmcg Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Tue 25-Sep-12 12:16 PM
4068 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Big Cats in East Africa"
In response to Reply # 6

Great pose, great light, tough call on the crop. I'd suggest trying a tighter crop with the right 1/3, 1/3 intersection placed between the eyes or just below and then crop into the body above the legs. Make the crop as small as you can relative to sharpness and definition.

John

Gamecocks Silver Member  Joanna, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010 Mon 24-Sep-12 11:48 PM
986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Big Cats in East Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

WOW!

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

vcottman Silver Member  Denver, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Sun 30-Sep-12 12:45 PM
7619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Big Cats in East Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice!! I especially like the cheetah.

Thanks for sharing,

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

af4nc Gold Member  Yardley, US  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007 Wed 03-Oct-12 09:40 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Big Cats in East Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful shots

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #145794 Previous topic | Next topic