Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #145685
View in linear mode

Subject: "Great Blue Heron at Heinz" Previous topic | Next topic
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberFri 21-Sep-12 01:10 PM
6797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Great Blue Heron at Heinz"

Philadelphia, US

I was really fortunate to be able to get quite close to this Great Blue Heron yesterday afternoon. I was inside what I have come to understand is this bird's "circle of fear." For some reason it ignored me. Conditions at the Refuge were wonderful for photography, with no humidity, temperature about 70ºF (21ºC), a beautiful afternoon sun and a light breeze.

The stats are: Nikon D4, Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VRII, ISO-800, f/7, 1/3200 sec.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz
cockers Silver Member
21st Sep 2012
niknac37 Silver Member
22nd Sep 2012
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
22nd Sep 2012
Watto Silver Member
22nd Sep 2012
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
22nd Sep 2012
jot2nik Gold Member
22nd Sep 2012
22nd Sep 2012
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Sep 2012
22nd Sep 2012
af4nc Gold Member
24th Sep 2012
25th Sep 2012

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Fri 21-Sep-12 08:58 PM
4357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Very nice capture Ned - wonderfully sharp.

Al

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

niknac37 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007Sat 22-Sep-12 07:25 AM
1886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 0

Mysore, IN

Wow what clarity, the combo of gear is great. Love the light ripples around the legs. Wish you could get the full ref too, but with 500 and so close I am sure this is best you could manage. TFS

Pakku

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 22-Sep-12 11:13 AM
6797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 2

Philadelphia, US

Thank you. That's exactly it. I couldn't get far enough away for that.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Watto Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2010Sat 22-Sep-12 10:11 AM
599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 0

Dongara, AU

G`day Ned , nice photo, its very sharp and the detail is real good. Love the eye, did you manage to get the whole reflection in.

Cheers Glen

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 22-Sep-12 11:19 AM
#5. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 22-Sep-12 11:20 AM by Ned_L

Philadelphia, US

Thanks. I couldn't get the whole reflection. I was on a 350' (107m) long walkway over a pond and what you see is all I could get. What you don't see is also a great deal of spatterdock. Thinking back, I don't think the reflection was actually all there.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Sat 22-Sep-12 02:28 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Ned, wonderful Image. Very striking, color, sharpness and composition.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 22-Sep-12 10:06 PM
#8. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 6

Philadelphia, US

Thanks you very much John. I really appreciate it.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 22-Sep-12 05:27 PM
18608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Beautiful image, Ned! Love the colors.

(I'm really starting to think I need to get a better telephoto lens.)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 22-Sep-12 10:23 PM
#9. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 7

Philadelphia, US

Thanks very much Anthony.

I don't think it's so much a better lens which would serve you well as much as a longer lens. You've got an AF 70-300 f/4-5.6D ED. Over time I found that 300mm wasn't enough to get sharp detail. That's why I went to the 500mm after much talk here at Nikonians, mostly in this Wildlife forum, but also in the Nikkor Autofocus Lenses forum. I discussed the Sigmas vs the Nikon and all kinds of parameters before settling on the Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VRII.

I had been using the Nikkor AF 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR prior to getting the 500mm, but I felt longer was necessary, especially for the smaller birds like the warblers. On my older D200 the 80-400mm got more reach, but its focusing was on the slow side and it wasn't fast enough. The 80-400mm is generally fine overall, but if I'm nitpicking which I do with lenses a lot, because to me it matters, it degrades from being really good once you pass about 300-320mm good, but no longer really good. On the D700, it was much better at focusing, but frankly the 500mm is in another ball park as far as overall sharpness and the ability to pull in contrast well, and other parameters too.

Of course another characteristic about the 500mm is that for many it's a budget buster.

You have a D700 and I love that DSLR for wildlife. I found I could shoot at ISO=800 with essentially no noise which enabled me to get high shutter speeds for wildlife and use f/stops as high as f/7.1 with little trouble.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Mon 24-Sep-12 08:53 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Great shot Ned, beautiful!

BTW I retired June 30th, went out west went hiking and backpacking in Great Smokies, Colorado, Moab Utah, Yosemite and 6 weeks in Yellowstone including a work shop by John and Barbara Gerlach on horseback.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 25-Sep-12 01:07 AM
#11. "RE: Great Blue Heron at Heinz"
In response to Reply # 10

Philadelphia, US

That sounds like great fun. I've hike and spent time in all those locales myself, but only 6 days in Yellowstone, not 6 weeks. I'm hoping to raft down the Colorado in 2014. Next summer is already booked up.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #145685 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.