nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #12788
View in linear mode

Subject: "Zoo fun" Previous topic | Next topic
ripal52 Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 02:26 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Zoo fun"

US

Just some images from some sunny days we"ve had recently.

All with d2x and 80-400 vr.

Tiger: 150mm, 1/80, f6.3, iso 320, ap
Wolf: 240mm, 1/320, f6.3, -.3ev, iso 320 sp
Eagle: 300mm, 1/329, f5.3, -.3ev, iso 500 sp

Rick

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Zoo fun
Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography
07th Nov 2005
ripal52
16th Jan 2008
DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine
08th Nov 2005
Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography
08th Nov 2005
bigcat
09th Nov 2005

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberMon 07-Nov-05 06:41 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Zoo fun"
In response to Reply # 0

Gent, BE

I really love the tiger picture. I'm very fond of tight compositions like this one . You have some splendid tools to work with, so I'm wondering where all that noise comes from, which is a real pity .

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

ripal52 Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 02:26 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Zoo fun"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Phil,

Thanks for the comment re the tiger picture. But now you have me worried. I am attaching the original picture so you can see that I was shooting through a very dirty window and that I did some very significant cropping. I hope this explains the noise. I have had the d2x for about six months and feel I still have alot to learn using the camera and with the image processing. When I took the tiger picture I was more concerned with focusing through the blowing leaves than with the composition(something I really need to work on). It wasn't until I got home that I even thought of zooming in so tight to her face.

If you feel that the dirty window and cropping don't account for the noise please let me know with any ideas you might have where it came from. I respect any input you might have.

Rick

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Tue 08-Nov-05 08:19 PM
3340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Zoo fun"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

What software are you using to do your RAW conversion?

If you don't use NC, then noise is more apparent in the images. If not, I suggest using either Neat Image or Noise Ninja to clean up the noise.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
www.luminescentphoto.com

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, Moving to Lightroom: Image Processing and Workflow

www.luminescentphoto.com

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberTue 08-Nov-05 08:41 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Zoo fun"
In response to Reply # 5

Gent, BE

I have no experience with the D2X. I guess the noise comes from the severe cropping and perhaps from extra sharpening which also increases the noise.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

bigcat Basic MemberWed 09-Nov-05 11:53 AM
696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Zoo fun"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton,

The reason my nick name is 'bigcat' is because I'm fanatical about them, especially Tigers.

I think, for what it is worth, the full picture is best, to me it gives the cat character and shows the whole body, the crop is nice as well.

As you have found out, time people have left their mark on any protective glass it becomes very difficult to get a good photo, you have done well with this wonderfully composed shot. There is noise but out weighed by the final photo.

bigcat
ps - It would be nice to get these photos in the wild but that is for the few and very brave.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #12788 Previous topic | Next topic