Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #116283
View in linear mode

Subject: "“Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”" Previous topic | Next topic
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 14-Jan-11 04:33 AM
11405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"“Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
Fri 14-Jan-11 11:18 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

“...I wander what their lookin’ at.”

D300 | 400VR + TC14E
f/9 | 1/1600s | ISO-400

f/6.3 | 1/1600s | ISO-400

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: “Hey chuck, those humans over there look cold…”
Bump57 Silver Member
14th Jan 2011
dm1dave Administrator
14th Jan 2011
af4nc Gold Member
14th Jan 2011
dm1dave Administrator
14th Jan 2011
Reply message RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”
vcottman Silver Member
15th Jan 2011
dm1dave Administrator
15th Jan 2011
NatureDon Silver Member
15th Jan 2011
dm1dave Administrator
15th Jan 2011
Gert van der Kolk Silver Member
16th Jan 2011
dm1dave Administrator
17th Jan 2011
niknac37 Silver Member
17th Jan 2011
dm1dave Administrator
18th Jan 2011
psf914
17th Jan 2011
Waterfowler
18th Jan 2011
dm1dave Administrator
18th Jan 2011
dm1dave Administrator
18th Jan 2011
Dubes Silver Member
19th Jan 2011

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Fri 14-Jan-11 12:15 PM
6521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: “Hey chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 0

US

LOL......it looks like me & you captured the same pair at just about the same time. I tossed mine though as it was not as sharp as yours. I like the different composition & light in #2, good catch.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 14-Jan-11 11:16 PM
11405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: “Hey chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 1

Lowden, US

Thanks Scott!

The first is a bit of a tight crop but it looked good for posting.

I love how the dam adds color and interest to the background of #2.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Fri 14-Jan-11 03:31 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: “Hey chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Great shot . . . exposure and focus nailed.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 14-Jan-11 11:17 PM
#4. "RE: “Hey chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

Thanks Tom!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 15-Jan-11 04:51 AM
7217 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Great shots Dave! I like #1 best.

Good shootin'

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 15-Jan-11 07:14 PM
#7. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 5

Lowden, US

Thanks Vaughn! Are you still planning a trip out this way?

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

NatureDon Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2007Sat 15-Jan-11 11:50 AM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice photos Dave. I like them both. The dam, although unnatural, does add a nice color of intierest in photo 2, especially against the blue of the water.

Don

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 15-Jan-11 07:21 PM
#8. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 6

Lowden, US

Thanks Don!

Scott mentioned in another post that when you shoot a lot at one location you get a lot of image as that all look alike. It is fun to try to get some different backgrounds in order to change things up every once in a while. Although the dams are manmade they have become an integral part of the Bald Eagle habitat along the Upper Mississippi. Also the addition of the dam gives the image some local context.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Gert van der Kolk Silver Member Charter MemberSun 16-Jan-11 07:20 PM
2399 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 0

Rotterdam, NL

Very nice! Hope to try my luck on these birds one day!

Gert van der Kolk

Welcome to my website BitsOfLight and My Gallery

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 17-Jan-11 02:15 AM
#10. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 9

Lowden, US

Thanks Gert!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

niknac37 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007Mon 17-Jan-11 04:32 AM
1871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 0

Mysore, IN

Lovely and crisp images Dave. I liked the second for the action are those pink colours tents?, but first one is more interesting.
You said it the though Dams goble up vast areas of forest the back waters do provide good habtate for the wild live. Here is one such place it has become home for Otter, fishing Eagle and in summer time hundreds of Elephants literally thousands of Indian Gaur will come together.

Pakku

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 18-Jan-11 11:55 PM
#14. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 11

Lowden, US

Thank Pakku!

Unlike a lot of dams the ones on the Mississippi River do not create lakes. There are necessary to only to raise the river a few feet for navigation. These dams are referred to as Roller Dams. The Rollers are the red/pink areas in the background. They can be raised and lowered to control the rate of water flow and the depth of the river behind them. When the river rises to near flood level they can raise the Rollers completely out of the water so that the river can flow unimpeded.

The Upper Mississippi River has 27 Locks and Dams from Minnesota to St Louis.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Mon 17-Jan-11 03:23 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

beautiful shots Dave

One of these days I'm going to find a couple eagles to add to my library..Hoping that happens this winter out here in the Valley. #2 is outstanding... love the action and the colors in the background and water.

Peter

Waterfowler Registered since 20th Aug 2010Tue 18-Jan-11 02:12 AM
344 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 12

Harrisburg, US

Great shots I like them both.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 18-Jan-11 11:56 PM
#16. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 13

Lowden, US

Thanks Mark!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 18-Jan-11 11:55 PM
#15. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 12

Lowden, US

Thank you Peter!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 19-Jan-11 01:27 AM
5994 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: “Hey Chuck, those humans over there look cold…”"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Excellent captures as usual Dave. Tack sharp images.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #116283 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.