Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #11563
View in linear mode

Subject: "zooms" Previous topic | Next topic
Spectric Registered since 04th Nov 2004Tue 23-Nov-04 10:48 AM
417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"zooms"

Northern Cumbria, GB

Hi all

I am a novice that will be upgrading to a D70 next year from my existing CP5000. I have often seen wonderful wildlife that I just cannot get a good photo of because of the zoom limations of my CP5000 even with the zoom adaptor.

So I was looking at spoting scopes but with the D70 could I use a zoom lens instead ?

The two areas of photography that interest me are landscapes & wildlife, so for wildlife what lenses are people using and are Nikors able to give better results than Sigma or Tokina ?

All feedback & advice greatly appreciated

thanks Roy

all the best
Roy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

CB Awarded for his articles for the Resources Registered since 12th Dec 2003Tue 23-Nov-04 11:45 AM
1000 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: zooms"
In response to Reply # 0

Bonn, DE

Hi Roy,

I guess there is no easy nor single answer to your questions.

Your choice of lense depends on what kind of wildlife you like to take pictures of.

If you could give us some more additional input on how much you are willing to spent on your equipment,how much you are willing to carry around,and where you mainly shoot.

We have several ones around here that will give you useful tipps of what to purchase as a starting kit.

CB

Claus Brandt Photography

my website

Spectric Registered since 04th Nov 2004Wed 24-Nov-04 10:37 AM
417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: zooms"
In response to Reply # 1

Northern Cumbria, GB

Hi all

A typical synario is that I am out walking and come across say a heron sitting on a rock in a river. I cannot get close enough in order to properly frame it with my existing kit and because of the distance it appears as a small object that is lost in the frame.

So I would like to zoom in & fill the frame.

thanks Roy

all the best
Roy

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberWed 24-Nov-04 11:01 AM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: zooms"
In response to Reply # 3

Gent, BE

If you like to walk around and have no intention to wait in a hide for days on end, I would suggest the Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D. This lens is very popular in Amerika where the wildlife is much easier to approach than in Europe. I don't have such a lens but many people here do and are very happy with the results (see Cassie, Marsel, etc). If, on the other hand, you live in a part of the country where there is a lot of hunting going on, the wildlife may be very shy. In that case, most of your shooting wil be done in the early morning or evening hours, in low light and then you'll need the heavy glass (f2.8 or f4 lenses) which is very expensive.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberTue 23-Nov-04 01:06 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: zooms"
In response to Reply # 0

Gent, BE

Hi Roy,

If you look at the messages, you'll see that at the top right, there are a few symbols. If you click on the little "head" symbol (called profile), you'll see which gear that person uses.
To help you more precisely, we need more details as Claus already pointed out.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #11563 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.