Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #107
View in linear mode

Subject: "Extension Tubes for Bird Photography" Previous topic | Next topic
claibrook Basic MemberSat 11-May-02 10:13 PM
2400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"

CA

I would like to know if any of you are using (or have used) extension tubes for bird photography. I'm thinking of getting one to use with my 80-400 lens. Sometimes I photograph in public parks and need to be closer to my birds than my 80-400's minimum focusing distance will allow. (I don't want to get in the way of other park users, especially if I am on a pathway.) Which extension tube did you use and why? How did it work out for you?

Cassie
from Beautiful British Columbia

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography
Gaspar61
12th May 2002
darrell
12th May 2002
Philip
12th May 2002
claibrook
13th May 2002
WV photo
13th May 2002
claibrook
13th May 2002
Philip
14th May 2002
darrell
14th May 2002
claibrook
14th May 2002
Photophil
14th May 2002
claibrook
14th May 2002

Gaspar61 Basic MemberSun 12-May-02 03:44 AM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Evansville, US

I have used an extension tube on my 300 prime to focus closer for a bird shot. The 300 AI only focuses down to 13 feet, with a 27mm extension tube I can get down to about 6.5 feet. I have an inexpensive Vivitar tube set that works just fine for my uses.I would post a picture that I shot with this setup, if I could only find one. Have a lousy filing system.
I think they came out just fine using the tube in that way.

Mike

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."

Jules de Gaultier

darrell Registered since 01st Feb 2002Sun 12-May-02 02:35 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I use them quite a bit. I have a set of Kenko tubes that work pretty well for me. Do realise that in lenses that focus off the body's motor (which I think the 80-400 does) will have their autofocus performance effected dramatically.

Good Luck!

Darrell
Canuck Nikonian

Good Luck!

Darrell
Canuck Nikonian

Philip Basic MemberSun 12-May-02 06:26 PM
1177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

BE

Cassie,

I often use Nikon PN-13 or PK-11 rings with an AF-I 500mm f4. As these rings are older than the beginning of the AF era, I have to work in MF.
As Nikon hasn't thought about the idea of using a 500mm for bird photography at close range (3-4m) they haven't any AF ring (yet ???). Fellow Nikonians do recommend the Kenko rings, but I haven't found, tried or bought them yet.

Regards,
Philip

My website
My galleries

claibrook Basic MemberMon 13-May-02 05:14 AM
2400 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Thanks for the replies. I think an extension tube would be worth a try. I'll have to get my hands on one.

Cassie

WV photo Registered since 23rd Feb 2002Mon 13-May-02 08:10 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 4

Ghent, BE

Hi Cassie,

Indeed the Kenko set is very good for it's price, but you will loose all automatic features of lens and camera.
I had a client who modified a TC20E, took all the glass out and used it as a tube with all the automatics still working.
There is only one problem, this will be the most expensive tube you'll ever had

Greetings,
Wim

claibrook Basic MemberMon 13-May-02 11:16 PM
#6. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 5

CA

Hi Wim! Yes, that would be a very expensive tube. I can live without autofocus, but what features would I lose on the camera?

Cassie

Philip Basic MemberTue 14-May-02 08:46 AM
1177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 6

BE

>I can live without autofocus, but what features would I lose
>on the camera?

a lot ... depending on what camera you have.

Take a look at the previous post : Extension rings for AF cameras + AF lenses (http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID6/1063.html).

Regards,
Philip

My website
My galleries

darrell Registered since 01st Feb 2002Tue 14-May-02 03:56 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 7

Toronto, CA

Other features....not quite sure what you are referring to. I have Kenko tubes and as far as I can tell all of the automatic features pass through them flawlessly. VR is the one feature I don't know about. Nikon tubes on the otherhand are a whole other nightmare. I will say again that autofocus performance though is an issue especially with the F80 instead of the F100.

Good Luck!

Darrell
Canuck Nikonian

Good Luck!

Darrell
Canuck Nikonian

claibrook Basic MemberTue 14-May-02 09:43 PM
#11. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

)

Cassie

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberTue 14-May-02 09:10 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 5

Gent, BE

>Indeed the Kenko set is very good for it's price, but you
>will loose all automatic features of lens and camera.

Sorry Wim, but that isn't true. The Kenko ET lets all automatic features pass through. It's the Nikon ET that doesn't. I also use the Kenko ET and they work very well although they are made of plastic and feel "cheap". Anyhow, that doesn't bother me because there is no glass involved. It is just a hollow tube.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

claibrook Basic MemberTue 14-May-02 09:38 PM
#10. "RE: Extension Tubes for Bird Photography"
In response to Reply # 9

CA

Hey Philippe! You're back! Well, I will just have to give one of those extension tubes a try and see how it goes. Thanks for all the replies.

Cassie

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #107 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.