Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #9786
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as pre" Previous topic | Next topic
aaronpriest Registered since 06th Oct 2004Wed 03-Nov-04 05:37 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as pre"

Lee, US

Hello,

I have a D-70, SB-800, SK-6 Power Bracket, and a Quantum Turbo Compact with YDC100 & CCK cables to power the camera and flash. The problem is that the SB-800 has round holes for the power socket instead of the rectangle socket that previous Nikon flashes had, so I can't use the SK-6 bracket or the Quantum battery to power the flash, even though both are supposed to be compatible with the SB-800. Did Nikon make this flash with both types of sockets and I have a newer model or something?

Aaron D. Priest
aaron@coastaltech.org
http://www.coastaltech.org
http://www.FinancialFreedomSeminar.com/70700

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as
BJNicholls Gold Member
04th Nov 2004
lasvegas_art
06th Nov 2004
aaronpriest
06th Nov 2004
mychoy
06th Nov 2004
lasvegas_art
09th Nov 2004
aaronpriest
09th Nov 2004
lasvegas_art
09th Nov 2004
Len Shepherd Gold Member
09th Nov 2004
F_Photomic
06th Oct 2008

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberThu 04-Nov-04 12:40 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

Page 113 of the manual shows a three pin rectangular socket for external power, pretty much identical to other SB Speedlights I've owned. Perhaps there's another version - is your Speedlight gray market perchance?

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

lasvegas_art Registered since 10th May 2002Sat 06-Nov-04 05:13 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

Hi Aaron
The SB-800 requires a 3 circular pronged power socket such as that on the Nikon SD-8A flash power pack. The rectangular 3 pronged power socket is found on the older Nikon SD-8 flash power packs (and I think speedlights such as the SB-24/25/26/28 used this SD-8). With the introduction of the SB-28DX, Nikon changed the power socket and introduced the SD-8A. I have the SD-8A and it's cable fit into, and power, the SB-800 flash without any problems. I have never used the SK-6 so I can not comment on that, but I agree with you that the manual does state that this accessory should work with the SB-800. Perhaps one of the SK-6 cables can be changed.
In terms of Quantum flash cables, the Quantum web page lists the correct flash cable to mate the SB-800 and Quantum Turbo Compact battery as the "CCKE" - your "CCK" cable only works with non-European SB-28 flash units. Can you still exchange this cable for the correct one?
Hope this helps.
Regards
Art

aaronpriest Registered since 06th Oct 2004Sat 06-Nov-04 12:00 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as"
In response to Reply # 2

Lee, US

Hey folks,

Here's an update. Yes, I discovered I had the wrong cable when I visited Quantum's website and verified the cable. I went back through and discovered that I had actually ordered the correct CCKE cable, but the vendor had shipped CCK by accident. They sent another one out immediately and we are doing a cross-shipment. I was pleased about that.

About the SK-6, I don't know what to say. It is part of the molded bracket and not a cable that can be replaced. The power section of the flash fits into the molded area, and a telephone like cord plugs in elsewhere to trigger the flash from the hot shoe. The power bracket also has a power socket elsewhere to plug in an external power source. So the power source doesn't plug directly to the flash but rather through the bracket instead, so it's not like I can change a simple cable. Does that make any sense?! I'll have to take a picture later tonight when I'm done working. I thought I read that the SB-800 was supposed to be compatible with the SK-6 though.

In answer to the other question, it is a US product with full warrantee and registration cards, etc., not gray market.

Probably should post this question under a new topic, but who makes a great flash bracket? One that would put the flash over the lens, with a left handed rubberized handle, and would allow the camera to rotate to portrait easily. I've seen photographers with these, but I don't know who makes good ones.

Thanks!
Aaron

Aaron D. Priest
aaron@coastaltech.org

mychoy Registered since 02nd Apr 2002Sat 06-Nov-04 12:29 PM
591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as"
In response to Reply # 3

Singapore, SG

Hi Aaron.

I recently bought a Newton Camera Bracket. I really love the quality of all the milled parts, and it is truly good workmanship and design. I bought the Di100FR2 which is foldable.

A few things you should look out for when picking out a flash bracket are:

1. Whether the design is flimsy or solid like a rock when attached to the camera;
  2. Whether the design of the flipping component is stable when it's at either of the 2 positions and it should also be easy to rotate when you want it to;
  3. Whether there's an obstructing piece that juts out right under the lens, causing hindrance to the grip of the lens by your left hand;
  4. Similarly, the design should allow you to grip the camera in a vertical position easily;
  5. If the bracket attaches to the camera body via a supplied piece to be mated together, or if it attaches to an arca-swiss type dovetail plate;
  6. Concisely, the overall design is important.

Also note that you would have to purchase a camera cord, either SC-17 or SC28, and maybe a flash plate like how the Newton Brackets requires it.

The overall setup might cost a bit, but personally, I feel that it's worth it to eliminate the shadows caused by side lighting.

Let me know if you need more information.

Meng Yew
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." -Albert Einstein

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." -Albert Einstein

lasvegas_art Registered since 10th May 2002Tue 09-Nov-04 03:24 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as"
In response to Reply # 3

Vancouver, CA

Hi Aaron
With the SK-6 you may be out of luck - on *bay the sellers who are listing these units claim they are only compatible with speedlights up to SB-28 (the last square power socket?) but don't list any of the more recent d-TTL or i-TTL flashes as compatible.

For a flash bracket try the Bogen 233b telescoping flash bracket. This is like the old "press photographer bracket" but updated with modern machining. One neat thing about this bracket is that it has a large tough joint that links the horizontal camera plate to the telescoping arm. This joint quickly permits one to orient the telescoping arm at any angle - thus you can get your flash up high or high-and-to-the-side, or high-and-tipped forward, etc. What ever position works for you, you can set quickly on the bracket. And the joint permits you to fold up the camera plate beside the arm when you are all done. You will need an off camera flash cord to link your SB-800 to your camera (e.g. SC-17 or the more expensive newer black cords). These brackets are listed new and used on that auction site so good luck.
In terms of re-orienting the camera for a portrait composition, this is do-able but not ideal - again that big joint comes in handy but to do this I place the camera and telescoping arm all in one vertical alingment. The flash is no longer off to one side (which may, or may not, be important to you).

Hope this helps
Regards
Art Calderwood

aaronpriest Registered since 06th Oct 2004Tue 09-Nov-04 01:35 PM
#7. "RE: SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as"
In response to Reply # 5

Lee, US

Thanks for the help and suggestions! I have an SC-29 sync cord, with AF illuminator, which I will use with a flash bracket. http://www.adorama.com/NKSC29.html?kbid=64628 I'll take a look at these suggested brackets and see what I think. I don't think the SK-6 was ideal anyway as the flash was off to the left of the camera instead of higher above the lens where I prefer it.

Aaron D. Priest
aaron@coastaltech.org

lasvegas_art Registered since 10th May 2002Tue 09-Nov-04 05:27 PM
#8. "RE: SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as"
In response to Reply # 7

Vancouver, CA

Hi Aaron
I was just looking through the SB-800 manual and the SK-6 must work with this flash (see page 113 of the SB-800 manual). You will not get as fast a recycle rate out of a SK-6+SB-800 than you would from the SD-8A+SB-800 but it is pretty close. I then checked out the auction listings for it and in those that show multiple photos of this unit, it does indeed have the 3 rounded prongs which fit into the front power socket of the SB-800 - so the SK-6 should indeed work with your SB-800. Sorry for the bad advise on my part.

Regards
Art

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 09-Nov-04 11:43 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

> Did Nikon
>make this flash with both types of sockets and I have a
>newer model or something?
>
As far as I know all flashes after the SB26 come in 2 versions -"round connectors" for tough European electrical regulations and "oblong" for the rest of the world.
The round connectors need "A" European type battery pack connectors.

There are definitely 2 types of SB28 and SB80.

I do not have an SB 800 so I cannot clarify.
Nore can I confirm what was in your box is what should have been in it.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

F_Photomic Registered since 01st Aug 2008Mon 06-Oct-08 07:13 AM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SB-800 has rounded power socket, not rectangular as"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I do remember my SB-28DX coming as the 3-round type socket. The female connector of the SK-6 is removable via 2 tiny screws and is easily replacable if you have the new plug connector. I remember Nikon shops doing this for oyu, not sure if you had to be origional owner. Once converted, the old oblong sockets will now also fit onto the female 3-round plug. This is sold today converted known as the "A" version just like the SD-8. It too comes as an "A" version to have the new 3-round plug for SB-28DX and above. I have only baught the SB-800 as the newer 3-round socket type both US and import.

F/FT+F-250/FTN+F36/F2/F2S/F2SB+MD-2+MF-10/F3/F3AF+MD-4+MF-14/F3P+MD-4/F3H+MD-4H/F4/F4S/F4E/F5/D2H/D70/5400/8700, saving for D3

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #9786 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.