nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SB 24 with F601 Help please

TonyB

CA
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TonyB Basic Member
Sun 10-Feb-02 02:27 PM

I've got a F601 with a Tamron 28-200 LD lens and an SB24. I bought all this used due to budget and mostly just to shoot my sons hockey, mostly TTL Zoom at max and aperture wide open. The F601 is my first AF and the SB24 my first TTL compatible flash with a decent GN. (I also own a SB20) My challenge lies in the fact that I have relatives also on a budget (who think I know what I'm doing)who want me to shoot their wedding. I bought a Lumiquest pocket bouncer thinking it wise for this purpose. I read Bo's write-up on the SB 24 as well as others, and have several questions:

1. F601 predates the SB24 I guess, so I have to manually set SB24's a) film speed b) zoom and c) aperture. Why do I have to set the aperture on the flash if the camera's TTL controls the flash duration and hence exposure? For the wedding I am dreading this as I won't have time to set all these things.

2. What's the LD mean on the Tamron?

3. Would I be better off just using the SB20 ?...I'm concerned about red-eye.

4. If I manually set camera at 125 and say F11 and set SB 24 zoom, aperture, and film speed; would TTL give me yecch exposures?

5. Given the equiptment I have, how could I best take advantage of rear sync?

Gosh, I have twenty more questions...guess the bottom line is I need advice on how to best use the equiptment in this application (wedding) and when I have the advice I will run out quick and verify I can make it work before the big day.

G