Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #9192
View in linear mode

Subject: "SD-7 or SD-8A" Previous topic | Next topic
YoungAndDangerous Registered since 11th Sep 2004Sat 11-Sep-04 03:47 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SD-7 or SD-8A"

Sydney, AU

I am have a SB-26 and SB-800 flashes, and considering in making a purchase of the either one of the SD-7 or SD-8A battery pack for these Speedlight. Ideal i need it to offer a faster charge cycle, and also extended battery use. Mainly to be used in weddings.

Has anyone had any expereince with these two products?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SD-7 or SD-8A
Len Shepherd Gold Member
12th Sep 2004
grmedhat1
12th Sep 2004
Len Shepherd Gold Member
12th Sep 2004
grmedhat1
12th Sep 2004
YoungAndDangerous
13th Sep 2004
YoungAndDangerous
13th Sep 2004

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sun 12-Sep-04 08:03 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SD-7 or SD-8A"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>I am have a SB-26 and SB-800 flashes, and considering in
>making a purchase of the either one of the SD-7 or SD-8A

STOP!
The plug for an SB26 and an EEC SB28 or later are not interchangeable.
The "rest of world" are a straight slot in (under the flash tube) and "EEC" are 3 round holes with the centre one lowest.

Do your flashguns have different sockets?

I understand an SK-8a will not fit an SB 26, but an SK-8 will.

The SK6a power bracket will not accept an SB26.
The illustration on page 94 of the English SB80 instructions indicates there is now only the SK-6, which comes with an adaptor for either type of socket.
It also clarifies the 8a is needed for the "three round hole" socket version of speedlights.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

grmedhat1 Registered since 24th Mar 2002Sun 12-Sep-04 03:17 PM
1569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SD-7 or SD-8A"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

"The "rest of world" are a straight slot in (under the flash tube) and "EEC" are 3 round holes with the centre one lowest."

Len I'm a little confused. Are you saying EEC are European models that have 3 round holes and the rest of the world has straight slots? Or is the other way around?

Happy Shooting
Garry

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sun 12-Sep-04 04:44 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SD-7 or SD-8A"
In response to Reply # 2

Yorkshire, GB

> Are you saying EEC are European
>models that have 3 round holes and the rest of the world has
>straight slots?

The SB 26 had a straight slot and later EEC units have the 3 round holes.
The UK instructions for the SB 28 showed both types of connection and highlighted the incompatibility.

It may be that the 3 round hole is now supplied world wide and not not restricted to the EEC.

I understand Australian where you live is strict on electric and radiation standards, so it might be "round hole" are now supplied in Australia and straight type in Hong Kong or USA.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

grmedhat1 Registered since 24th Mar 2002Sun 12-Sep-04 06:01 PM
1569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SD-7 or SD-8A"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

Thanks Len. I don't have an SB26 so I can't comment on that. My SB800 purchased here in Canada has the 3 round holes - USA would be the same.

Happy Shooting
Garry

YoungAndDangerous Registered since 11th Sep 2004Mon 13-Sep-04 05:43 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SD-7 or SD-8A"
In response to Reply # 4

Sydney, AU

Thanks guys!

I'll have to check with my flashes to see what connector is on it. But both of my purchases are from Hong Kong. So I am not sure.

But will either SD-7 and SD-8A support the SB800 flash? (They are supplied with SC-16 cable, does it mean i have to get a SC-16A cable).

I am planning to make a purchase of eithe SD-7/8 from B&H in the NY. So, i just hope it's compatible.

Anyway, has anyone use either packs, and you recommend it?

Cheers
YaD

YoungAndDangerous Registered since 11th Sep 2004Mon 13-Sep-04 12:33 PM
#6. "RE: SD-7 or SD-8A"
In response to Reply # 5

Sydney, AU

Len,

You are in fact correct.
The SB-26 has a Square Plug with 3 pins.
The SB-800 is the 3 rounded plugs (EEC).

As I understand, the SD-7 and SD-8A is supplied with the SC-16 cable, and is not suited for the SB-800 (but okay for the SB-26), so you will require to purchase the optional SC-16A cable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers
YaD

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #9192 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.