nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #877
View in linear mode

Subject: "What aperture with flash on my FM3A?" Previous topic | Next topic
auxmike Basic MemberSun 27-Jan-02 08:33 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What aperture with flash on my FM3A?"

US

I'm trying to figure out where to set aperture when using flash.I know shutter sould be 1/250 or below,but what about aperture?
Bear with me,I'm a spoiled N60 owner too!This is my first manual Nikon.I went for the gusto so I won't outgrow it soon.It does nice stuff the N60 can't too.
BTW,the flash is a Vivitar 730AFNi.I know,I know:shoulda bought a "real" speedlight!
Any help or advice would be great.
Regards,
Mike S

Regards,
Mike S

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What aperture with flash on my FM3A?
JM
28th Jan 2002
Reply message That is correct!
auxmike
28th Jan 2002
     Reply message RE: That is correct!
jnscbl
28th Jan 2002
Reply message RE: What aperture with flash on my FM3A?
abe Silver Member
31st Jan 2002
Reply message Thanks Abe!
auxmike
31st Jan 2002
     Reply message RE: Thanks Abe!
Johnny
02nd Feb 2002

JM Registered since 02nd Mar 2007Mon 28-Jan-02 06:56 AM
2468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What aperture with flash on my FM3A?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Since I read you are getting TTL function from that set up this is sort of a moot point. Fun to debate but of little consequence unless you choose to shut off the TTL. If you were running an Auto style flash it would have a chart on it indicating the proper settings for its operation, actually both manual and auto flashes would have said chart.

JM
The Chicagoan

auxmike Basic MemberMon 28-Jan-02 01:01 PM
145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "That is correct!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

There is an adjustable chart back there.I guess it's time to actually READ it and use it to guide my decision.
Thanks for the heads up.You guys are all so helpful!
Regards,
Mike S

Regards,
Mike S

jnscbl Basic MemberMon 28-Jan-02 03:06 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: That is correct!"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Aperture matters. If you are shooting in a crowd, such as at a party or event, use a wide aperture. This allows the fastest flash recycle time, which saves battery power (by 2x or 3x, not just a few extras) plus you don't miss any good shots while waiting for the ready light.
If you are deliberately trying to supress the background, such as for an informal portrait in the above situation, use a small aperture.
In the above shots the shutterspeed is not important. Just set it to 1/250 if you want. But if you want a fill flash effect, you need to set your aperture first, then meter and adjust the ambient light with the shutterspeed. If you are shooting action, you will do just the opposite--set the shutterspeed high first. Obviously (or not so obviously) you should not use fast film outdoors in bright daylight if you intend to use flash, or you will run out of apertures at 1/250.
-scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

abe Silver Member Charter MemberThu 31-Jan-02 03:29 PM
614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What aperture with flash on my FM3A?"
In response to Reply # 0

Munich, DE

Hey, Mike!

You could let your FM3A handle things with TTL, but of course, setting the aperture manually gives you a wider choice of effect. The aperture basically limits the range of your flash, so a small aperture "cuts off" the background, i.e. the flash only reaches the nearer parts of your composition, the background will be dark. Wide apertures include more of the ambient light which will give a more balanced lighting, the flash needs less power (i.e. less flash duration), and therefore recycles faster.
With the TTL function, you´ll basically get a "correctly" (however you define that) picture (if your subject is in the flashllight´s range and so on), even when you bounce your flash.

If your flash exposures come out black as the night or the people´s faces turn a whiter shade of pale, or...

Sharpness is a bourgeois concept. Henri Cartier-Bresson

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

auxmike Basic MemberThu 31-Jan-02 11:19 PM
#5. "Thanks Abe!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I'm fooling with different settings and writing everything down,frame by frame.
Regards,
Mike S

Regards,
Mike S

Johnny Basic MemberSat 02-Feb-02 06:21 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Thanks Abe!"
In response to Reply # 5

Westampton, US

Excellent! When you get your photos back, please post them for the rest of us!

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #877 Previous topic | Next topic