Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #874
View in linear mode

Subject: "My confusion" Previous topic | Next topic
Nomi Basic MemberSun 17-Jun-01 09:46 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My confusion"

Dear Nikonians

Can somebody please solve my confusion. When it is said that Nikon SB50DX has the slave function, what does this exactly mean.

Can the flash be operated from a distance without using any other accessory, from the camera itself OR some other accessory is needed?

OR

The flash can only act as a remote commander for other flashes?

please solve my confusion as i am planning to buy SB50DX for my nikon f65 & if I will not find any difference b/w SB50dx & metz 32 mz 3, then i would definitely go for the Metz flash as it has a higher guide number.

thanks
ALI

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 17-Jun-01 09:07 PM
33917 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My confusion"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

LAST EDITED ON Jun-17-01 AT 11:08 PM (GMT)

<"When it is said that Nikon SB-50DX has the slave function, what does this exactly mean?.">

It means it can be actuated with the light from a built-in flash (like the one on your N65) or any other accessory flash.

<"Can the flash be operated from a distance without using any other accessory, from the camera itself OR some other accessory is needed?">

Yes. It would help you to do creative lighting, like from a side, saving you from the ugly "shadow-in-the-wall" syndrome. I would recommend a small tripod as an accessory to make the SB-50DX stand exactly where you want and pointing exactly where you may want.

<"The flash can only act as a remote commander for other flashes?">

Yes, that is also possible, as with any other light source.
You could say the SB-50DX is an inexpensive SB-26.

Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert)
My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

thom Registered since 27th Jan 2002Tue 29-Jan-02 11:47 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My confusion"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The SB-50DX has the equivalent of an SU-4 built in. That means that it has a light sensor to see another flash fire, and that will trigger the SB-50DX to fire. Like the SU-4, the SB-50DX also TURNS OFF when it sees the other flash turn off. Essentially, you get a wireless slave.

However, you can't use this function in Balanced Fill-Flash modes, and the SB-50DX's sensor needs to be pointed at the main flash. The SB-50DX's sensor is not as sensitive as the one in the SB-26, nor can it see the main flash from the kinds of distances you can get from the SB-26.

Thom Hogan
author, Nikon Field Guide
author, Nikon Flash Guide
author, Complete Guide to the N65
author, Complete Guide to the N80
author, Complete Guide to the Nikon D1, D1h, & D1x
www.bythom.com

Thom Hogan
author, Nikon Field Guide
and Nikon Flash Guide
author, Complete Guides to most Nikon cameras
www.bythom.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #874 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.