nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why use a diffuser? When to bounce flash?

chukbot2000

Sugar Land, US
221 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
chukbot2000 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jul 2004
Fri 09-Jul-04 10:44 PM

I just got my very first external flash ever. It's an SB-800 to mount on my D70. I don't know anything about using a flash, so forgive me for not knowing. When I use the diffuser, the color temperature looks cooler than without a diffuser. Naturally, it doesn't look right especially when shooting people because the skin tones look too artificial. So when should one use a diffuser?

Also, I'm going to take pictures of my first wedding with the D70 and the SB-800 tomorrow. I have found that pointing the flash up 90-degrees seems to yield better indoors performance than pointing it directly at the subject. Should I keep the flash pointed directly at the ceiling at all times during the ceremony and reception? When should it be pointed at -7-degrees? 45-degrees?

I appreciate any kind responses to my amateurish questions!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why use a diffuser? When to bounce flash? jnscbl
10th Jul 2004
Reply message RE: Why use a diffuser? When to bounce flash? sorrynoigloos
14th Jul 2004
Reply message RE: Why use a diffuser? When to bounce flash? TexIndian Silver Member
10th Jul 2004
Reply message RE: Why use a diffuser? When to bounce flash? chukbot2000 Silver Member
10th Jul 2004
     Reply message RE: Why use a diffuser? When to bounce flash? TexIndian Silver Member
10th Jul 2004
Reply message RE: Why use a diffuser? When to bounce flash? WingSpan
16th Jan 2008
16th Jan 2008
     Reply message RE: Why use a diffuser? When to bounce flash? chukbot2000 Silver Member
10th Jul 2004
          Reply message RE: Why use a diffuser? When to bounce flash? drjimbob Team Member Awarded In Memoriam for  sharing countless hours of his expertise no matter how simple or complex the question, and especially for his eternal good nature.
10th Jul 2004
10th Jul 2004
11th Jul 2004
11th Jul 2004
11th Jul 2004

G