Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #85
View in linear mode

Subject: "speedlight sb26" Previous topic | Next topic
achard Basic MemberThu 19-Jul-01 08:02 AM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"speedlight sb26"

Zamboanga, PH

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-01 AT 11:20 AM (GMT)

Hi,
Just bought sb26 from my friend few days ago but the thing is he lost the manual. How can I achieve a good pix using speedlight sb26? How thus the zoom works? let say, my lens zoom at 50 at f4 and distance to subject is at 3 meters. will I also zoom it to 50 from my sb26 and change my apperture to f4? by the way I'm using FM2N

thanks,
Rich

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: speedlight sb26
Johnny
19th Jul 2001
achard
19th Jul 2001
jnscbl
19th Jul 2001
achard
20th Jul 2001
Johnny
20th Jul 2001
achard
21st Jul 2001
jnscbl
21st Jul 2001
achard
21st Jul 2001
jnscbl
21st Jul 2001
Johnny
20th Jul 2001
Reply message SB-26 Manual
bob
31st Jul 2001
Reply message RE: SB-26 Manual
Johnny
01st Aug 2001
Ed
01st Aug 2001

Johnny Basic MemberThu 19-Jul-01 12:05 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 0

Westampton, US

I'm not sure about the FM2N (I think it is TTL) but other cameras, you put the flash in auto mode and it does the right thing. As for a manual, get the Magic Lantern book on the SB26 instead the Nikon Manual.

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=2MTYEY4YRT&mscssid=VXMTVB157HWP9PJQ25JE4USF4HDNCGD4&isbn=1883403294

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

achard Basic MemberThu 19-Jul-01 12:49 PM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 1

Zamboanga, PH

the book is currently not available. Would you recommend another book?
thanks,

jnscbl Basic MemberThu 19-Jul-01 01:40 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 2

US

FM2 is not TTL. There is a switch that selects A_M_TTL; set to M. Set the zoom to 50mm or wider. Push the SEL button till the ISO flashes. Use the up/down arrows to set that. Push the SEL again to get to the fstop. Set the aperture that you will use on the lens. Now push the button that is labeled M to adjust the power output. There will be a fraction in the lower corner of the display that changes as you press it. Select the power that gives you the distance you want. I have an SB24, but all this should be the same. I don't know what you are shooting, but if you can preset your lens focus, and preset the flash, and just step forward or back to focus, you won't have to reset the flash so much. You can also use A(auto) mode. I haven't used that though. Just try playing with all the controls and watch the display. Maybe you can figure it out till you order your manual from www.manuals2go.com.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

achard Basic MemberFri 20-Jul-01 01:46 AM
#4. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 3

Zamboanga, PH

I'm confuse reg. zooming, lets say I zoom the lens to 80m will I also zoom my flash to 80m? and check the fstop from subject to distance. let say my subject is at 9m and the flash reads 9m at f4.do I have to change the fstop from the lens?
thanks

Johnny Basic MemberFri 20-Jul-01 09:47 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 4

Westampton, US

Zoom your lens. Set the zoom on your flash. Set the aperture the same way (on the camera, then on the flash). Focus on your subject. Take a look at the distance of your subject (on the lens) and make sure that distance is listed as being covered on the flash. If it is not, you need to adjust your aperture, your distance to your subject or both.

Hope this helps,
Johnny

Johnny

---

achard Basic MemberSat 21-Jul-01 01:33 AM
#7. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 6

Zamboanga, PH

Thanks for the tips. god bless

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 21-Jul-01 04:00 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 6

US

You can adjust the distance with the variable power on the flash. The "M" button. Using that allows you to set the aperture you want, within reason.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

achard Basic MemberSat 21-Jul-01 08:39 AM
#9. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 8

Zamboanga, PH

by the way, can you explain me how to use the "M" button, I currently use my apperture at f4 and 'M'at 1/1 the distance is at 9m with 50m zoom. I notice that if I change the "M" to 1/2 the distance get shorter (6m) is that mean my range is only upto 6m? What's the purpose of it?

thanks,

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 21-Jul-01 10:53 AM
#10. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Switching to 1/2 power CAN change the distance, or you can open the aperture for the same distance. You are shooting something 9m away with a telephoto, so you wouldn't want to decrease power.

But consider someone shooting much closer with a wide angle lens, or a longer focal length with widest aperture for shallow depth of field, and using the flash to provide fill. Also, the variable power comes in handy for faster film. Or indoors with two flashes, and using variable power to control the balance between the two units. Or very close up, even at small apertures, you might only need 1/16. The possibilties are endless. Have fun!---scott

--scott

Pablo Picasso

Johnny Basic MemberFri 20-Jul-01 09:44 PM
#5. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 2

Westampton, US

I would say check around with other places like Borders, B&H, Adorama, Amazon and my personal favorite, Bergen County Camera

Johnny

Johnny

---

bob Tue 31-Jul-01 08:56 PM

#11. "SB-26 Manual"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Rich:

The following web site has SB-26 manuals available I believe. I picked this up off of another query or site somewhere. I too have the same problem (got a SB26 that was "manualess"). Exceptional flash unit though w/N90s and N80!!

http://www.craigcamera.com/ib_nikona.htm

Hope this works.. I need to order mine too.. so don't buy the last one (unless you will send me a photo copy..), ha, ha, ha.

Take care and enjoy the great unit you just acquired!!

Bob

Johnny Basic MemberWed 01-Aug-01 12:19 PM
#13. "RE: SB-26 Manual"
In response to Reply # 11

Westampton, US

I was just up at Bergen County Camera over the weekend and I could have sworn I saw a couple copies of the Magic Lantern Guide on the SB-26 there. Give Bob Gramegna a call!

Johnny

Johnny

---

Ed Basic MemberWed 01-Aug-01 12:48 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: speedlight sb26"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Rich, I use my SB-24 all the time with my FM2n. The SB-24 is similar to the SB-26 in its functionality when paired to a full manual camera like the FM2. Here's what to do:

1 Ensure that the speedlight is set to "A" (automatic mode). This is equivalent to the auto-thyristor circuits on the Vivitar 283/285.

2. Set the ISO film speed on the speedlight to match your camera's setting. If you're overriding the film's ISO on the camera, override on the flash too.

3. Set the flash zoom position equivalent to the focal length of your lens. If I'm using a zoom lens, I set the flash's zoom position to the widest focal length of the zoom. I don't bother resetting the flash zoom to follow the focal length on my zoom lens, because I'd forget to reset it when I go back to wide setting. A focal length wider than the flash zoom position will effect a "spotlight" effect, since the flash coverage is narrower than the angle of view of the lens. The disadvantage of leaving it the widest zoom position is the decreased flash coverage. You'd have to weigh the pros and cons of each depending on the situation at hand. 400- and 800-speed film will help boost your flash power, BTW.

4. If I'm shooting events where there's no time for fiddling around, I set my lens to f/4. Then the speedlight to f/4 to match. If the event is indoors, I shoot everything this way. Remember that "A" mode affords you a little more convenience than full manual, i.e. flash metering is automatic within a given distance. The f/4 setting will give you the biggest flash coverage without resorting to a minimal DOF. Sometimes I see that the room is small, I can afford to go f/5.6 without too much worry. Look at the distance indicators on the flash LCD to gauge how much you can cover at that aperture.

If you're not in a rush, you can vary the aperture but ensure you set the same aperture on both lens and flash.

5. When I go outdoors, I stop the lens 1 stop than what's set on the flash. So I set the lens to f/5.6. This is equivalent to -1 fill flash in "A" mode.

6. If I have a Lumiquest Pocket bouncer or Stofen on the flash head, I go the opposite route. I set a 2-stop difference between flash and lens, with the lens 2 stops wider than the flash. For example, f/8 on flash, f/4 on lens. This is equivalent to a +2 flash compensation in "A" mode.

7. With a fully-charged speedlight on board, the FM2's ready light inside the viewfinder eyepiece will light up. If you go above 1/250 flash sync speed, the red light will blink. So before taking the shot, ensure the red light is on and steady. As far as I know, aside from the camera's signal to FIRE, this is the only other electronic communication between the FM2 and a Nikon Speedlight.

I've used the FM2/SB-24 combo a million years and have had great success. If I remember anything else, I'll let you know.

Hope this helps.
Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #85 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.