Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #839
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash head turning wrong way.." Previous topic | Next topic
jjussi Basic MemberFri 21-Dec-01 09:20 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash head turning wrong way.."

KLAUKKALA, FI

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-01 AT 11:21 PM (GMT)

Hi!
As you know you can turn you flash head verticaly -180 -- +90 dec.
So I turn -135 dec. to get it pointing UP and behind me. But now I can NOT use my vertical grip (MB-10), because it's pointing DOWN to my shoulder ...
And so do ALL (what I know) flash lights.. From my point of view, just wrong way!!!

What you think?

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash head turning wrong way..
jnscbl
22nd Dec 2001
jjussi
22nd Dec 2001
jnscbl
22nd Dec 2001
jjussi
01st Jan 2002
jnscbl
01st Jan 2002

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 22-Dec-01 02:54 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash head turning wrong way.."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Are you talking about a combination of tilt and swivel? Flash in hotshoe?
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

jjussi Basic MemberSat 22-Dec-01 04:49 AM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash head turning wrong way.."
In response to Reply # 1

KLAUKKALA, FI

>Are you talking about a combination
>of tilt and swivel? Flash
>in hotshoe?

Yes. But swivel only.

--

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 22-Dec-01 11:57 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash head turning wrong way.."
In response to Reply # 2

US

I'm still not sure what problem you are having. I assume the N90 vertical grip works with the camera turned on its left end. But forget the grip for now. Imagine the camera in horizontal position witht your flash in the camera's hotshoe. No matter how you turn the head of the flash, you should be able to achieve the same result whether the camera is turned vertically on its left side or right side. But you would have to use both tilt and swivel. If you are using a particular bracket, this may not be true. For the nitpickers among us, the flash lens might be turned long-way-horizontal in some cases, long-way-vertical in others.

---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

jjussi Basic MemberTue 01-Jan-02 01:07 PM
#4. "RE: Flash head turning wrong way.."
In response to Reply # 3

KLAUKKALA, FI

>I'm still not sure what problem
>you are having. I assume
>the N90 vertical grip works
>with the camera turned on
>its left end.

(Been on vacation.. 1.5 weeks)

Hmm.. How to explain.. If you look your flash.. You can turn flash head to right max. 90 dec. and left 180 dec.!
OK! If you have camera on vertical position and flash is connected to camera. NOW you have white wall BEHIND you and there is white ceiling too.
Now you want to bounce your flash from that wall and ceiling, so your flash should point UP and behind you!!! RIGHT?
BUT... You can NOT turn your flash head that direction because is limited to 90 dec. (clockwise) so it is pointing now DIRECT UP! If you turn other ways (anti-clockwise) it is pointing backwards or downwards, BUT not that direction where you want it to be...

Got it now?

--

jnscbl Basic MemberTue 01-Jan-02 02:17 PM
#5. "RE: Flash head turning wrong way.."
In response to Reply # 4

US

OK, OK, I see now. You might be the one in a million for whom the Sto-fen Omnibounce is actually beneficial. Get one---they're cheap. ---scott

--scott

Pablo Picasso

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #839 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.