Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #832
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-28 AF Assist Illuminator" Previous topic | Next topic
daniel.chin Basic MemberFri 21-Dec-01 11:45 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-28 AF Assist Illuminator"

Taichung, TW

When I use my F100+SB-28 combo, I hardly notice if the AF assist Illuminator is working or not (projecting vertical line apttern). However, I found today that even in a dark room, the AF assist was not functioning.
I double checked AF sensor ( it was set at center) and AF ILL setting at the speedlight ( it wasn't turned off which would show "NO AF-ILL").
So, what else could I go wrong before I sent it back for service?
Thanks!

Daniel Chin
A Light Traveller
Taichung, Taiwan

Daniel Chin
A Light Traveler

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message the problem solved!
daniel.chin
21st Dec 2001
Reply message RE: the problem solved!
meerkat
21st Dec 2001
daniel.chin
22nd Dec 2001
MoX
23rd Dec 2001
Simon_Barnes
04th Jan 2002
Blackjack
05th Jan 2002

daniel.chin Basic MemberFri 21-Dec-01 12:16 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "the problem solved!"
In response to Reply # 0

Taichung, TW

I kept trying and trying by playing around all possible seetings, and after I re-set the AF mode from "C" to "S", the AF-ILL was on.
I couldn't find my manual, but think it makes sense.
Any one can confirm that ( AF-ILL only works at "S" mode)?
Thanks!

Daniel Chin
A Light Traveller
Taichung, Taiwan

Daniel Chin
A Light Traveler

meerkat Basic MemberFri 21-Dec-01 07:55 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: the problem solved!"
In response to Reply # 1

silly-can valley, US

Yes, read the camera manual, not speedlight manual

daniel.chin Basic MemberSat 22-Dec-01 09:52 AM
#3. "RE: the problem solved!"
In response to Reply # 2

Taichung, TW

so many to learn about F100, looks like keep refering back to its manual is a must!
( Somehow I couldn't post after my message at the F100 group forum, but someone also indicated that I should set my camera's AF mode to "S").
Thanks!

Daniel Chin
A Light Traveller
Taichung, Taiwan

Daniel Chin
A Light Traveler

MoX Basic MemberSun 23-Dec-01 02:07 PM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: the problem solved!"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

for the AF assist illuminator to work, the center focus area MUST be selected. It has nothing to do with C or S mode.

-Michael
------------------------------
http://www.photo.net/photodb/presentation?presentation_id=144194

Simon_Barnes Basic MemberFri 04-Jan-02 04:31 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: the problem solved!"
In response to Reply # 4

Teignmouth, GB

I've just upgarded from a Pentax system whereby the illuminator would only work if the light levels were low and would not light even when turned on when light levels were bright enough for the AF sensors.

My question is: I have now got an F100 and SB28. is it correct that the illuminator is as the camera says i.e either on or off?
When I have the option on, the illuminator still fires even in bright lighting.

Is this supposed to happen or have I missed somthing.

Cheers for any help.

Many thanks

Simon Barnes

If it isn’t broken, keep fixing it until it is

Blackjack Basic MemberSat 05-Jan-02 11:01 PM
96 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: the problem solved!"
In response to Reply # 4

>for the AF assist illuminator to
>work, the center focus area
>MUST be selected. It
>has nothing to do with
>C or S mode.

That makes a lot more sense.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #832 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.