Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #810
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB28 flashing" Previous topic | Next topic
sworks Basic MemberMon 17-Dec-01 12:53 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB28 flashing"

Miami, US

I have an F100 and an SB28 flash unit. I have noticed that sometimes when I put the flash on the camera and turn them both on, when I depress the shutter to half, focusing, I get a quick burst of flash out of the SB28. Is this some kind of pre-flash or do I have some option turned on that I am not aware of. I like the flash, but it is more complicated than the camera itself. Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 17-Dec-01 01:50 AM
34195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB28 flashing"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Yu may have the flash in automatic balanced fill-flash with TTL multi-sensor. (In the flash there is another icon indicator on, at the side of the one showing TTL). If you want it off, just press the mode selector until it disappears, for standard TTL.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 17-Dec-01 02:46 PM
18307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB28 flashing"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-01 AT 07:36 PM (GMT)

I don't think so. It sounds like the contacts are not properly aligned. My SB-28 did that once and it was due to static electricity. Here is what I learned when I brought it in for service:

1) Make sure your contacts are clean. (Clean it with a pencil eraser.)

2) Make sure both camera and flash are turned off to prevent a short circuit (this can also cause the flash to fire) before mounting.

3) Make sure the flash is seated properly on the camera, and the lock is turned to secure it.

4) Turn on the camera, then the flash.

5) If not using it for an extended period of time, take out the batts, and fire it several times to keep the capacitor memory.

Hope it helps.
Anthony

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 17-Dec-01 03:03 PM
34195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB28 flashing"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

You are correct Anthony:
The flash has to be clean and turned on after the camera is turned on.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

colnago Basic MemberThu 20-Dec-01 10:49 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "SB-28 flashing"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have experienced the same problem with an SC-17 thrown into the mix. I never had this happen when the unit was mounted on my N90s or N-80. It happened today consistantly during a shoot causing me to underexpose several shots. Can't remember it happening mounted to the F100, but have used the SC-17 almost exclusively with the F100. I shot a wedding with this rig and it happened only a few times. Today, I was wondering if there might be a short in the cord...

I will try Anthony's suggestion and see if that takes care of the unwanted flashing. Didn't have to worry about which one to turn on first with my old 283 and FE's!

Marc

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #810 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.