nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
4jka

2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
4jka Registered since 04th May 2004
Tue 04-May-04 03:17 PM

Hi, I'm a new user to the forum and a relative beginner in photography as well. I bought an F60 a few years back, and am thinking about expanding my gear. I love shooting candid/action shots of my family, so I was thinking of getting a large aperture lens (I was thinking 50mm f/1.8D) and a good speedlight. Eventually I want to be able to shoot weddings well, and have sort of a photojournalism type style, so something like a 80-200 f/2.8mm lens WAY down the line...)
Anyway, I looked over my instruction manual and found out that when using an external flash, the max aperture setting is only f/4 (at ISO100). Am I 'wasting my money' by getting both large aperture lenses and also good speedlights? I mean, I understand that it would be good to have some large aperture lenses around for depth of field control, but I was imagining shooting outdoors and using fill flash, and being limited by this max aperture thing.

Am I reading the manual wrong? If not, is that just not a limitation that you have noticed in your experience? I would appreciate any advice from you more experienced users!

G