Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #779
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB28 or SB28DX?" Previous topic | Next topic
alexbaroes Basic MemberSat 15-Dec-01 08:49 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB28 or SB28DX?"

Medan, ID

I bought my Nikon SLR F80 recently months ago. I bought along with auto flash SUNPAK Thrystor 355AF and my Nikkor 70-300G lens included my Velbon tripod. Then I have a plan to change my speedlight into SB28DX. After I look through the specifications between SB28, SB28DX, and SB50DX I'm getting confused. Seems SB28DX more expensive lil' bit than SB28. But in some web says that SB28 is the latest one than SB28DX. And some says that SB28DX only uses for Digital cameras. Some another rumour says that this SB28 aren't that powerful enough to punch.

Can y'all help me to explain which one is much much better to choose on between SB28, SB28DX, or SB50DX? Thank you...

Alex Baroes

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB28 or SB28DX?
krf Silver Member
16th Dec 2001
Rumpis
16th Dec 2001
Reply message Further More....
alexbaroes
17th Dec 2001
Reply message RE: Further More....
avm247 Moderator
17th Dec 2001
     Reply message SD-8A for SB28
Simon_Barnes
26th Jan 2002
avm247 Moderator
17th Dec 2001
jrp Administrator
17th Dec 2001
alexbaroes
18th Dec 2001
Lore
20th Dec 2001
avm247 Moderator
20th Dec 2001
     Reply message how about SB-28 on a D1x
raymond
02nd Jan 2002
Libra
20th Feb 2002

krf Silver Member Charter MemberSun 16-Dec-01 01:34 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB28 or SB28DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

The SB-28 and SB-28DX have the same output and perform the same on an F80/N80 or any other film camera. The SB-28DX is designed to work better with the metering system on Nikon's professional digital cameras (I don't remember the specifics). So if you think you might want to get a Nikon D1X or D1H at some time, go for the SB-28DX. If you plan to stay with film, save the money and go with the SB-28. The SB-50DX has some additional bounce flash features and I think it allows you to use the built-in flash on the camera at the same time, but is not as powerful as the SB-28 or SB-28-DX.

Kerry

Kerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Rumpis Basic MemberSun 16-Dec-01 07:44 PM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB28 or SB28DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Riga, LV

SB-28DX is the same SB-28 plus some features supported only with digital cameras. For F80 alone it is an overkill, if you do not have digital camera or do not plan to purchase one in near future.

Rumpis

Rumpis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

alexbaroes Basic MemberMon 17-Dec-01 02:02 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "Further More...."
In response to Reply # 0

Medan, ID

Thank you so much.... for your helped. I think I would like to go w/ SB28 as well. But just want to know for further --some store says they are also selling this SB28 with SD8A Kit, what's that? And I found out also about its accessories of SD7 and SK6/6A. I would like to wait for your kindness explanation. Thank you.

Alex Baroes

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 17-Dec-01 02:05 PM
18527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Further More...."
In response to Reply # 3

Rancho Cordova, US

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-01 AT 04:24 PM (GMT)

The SD-8A is an accessory battery pack for the SB-28. The SD-8A is UL rated (where as the SD-8 is not). It uses 6 - AA batteries or NiCad in addition to those in the flash (typically 4 - AA).

The SD-7 is also an accessory batt pack (uses 6 - C batts), and the SK6/6a I believe is an accessory that mounts the speedlight off to the side, and also has a small batt pack (6 - AA). Just confirmed: it turns your flash into a sort of handle mount flash. Funny couldn't find the info on the NikonUSA website, but it was on B&H's.

Accessory batt packs decrease recycle time while increase output (# of flashes).

Anthony

Update: The SD-7 and SD-8A (and the SK6/6A) are designed for USA models of the SB-28. The Euro versions do not have the same accessory power plug. I haven't seen anything about the other speedlights.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Simon_Barnes Basic MemberSat 26-Jan-02 08:27 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "SD-8A for SB28"
In response to Reply # 4

Teignmouth, GB

Hi there,
I've just bought a second hand SD-8A battery pack for my SB28 - F100 combination, it did'nt come with a box or instructions.

Can anyone tell me what the short lead with the pc type plug is used for?
I reckon it connects to the camera due to its short length but the pack seems to work whether it is plugged into camera or not.

Any links available on the net regarding this unit?

Any help appreciated

Simon Barnes

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-01 AT
>04:24 PM (GMT)

>
>The SD-8A is an accessory battery pack for the SB-28. The
>SD-8A is UL rated (where as the SD-8 is not). It uses 6 -
>AA batteries or NiCad in addition to those in the flash
>(typically 4 - AA).
>
>The SD-7 is also an accessory batt pack (uses 6 - C batts),
>and the SK6/6a I believe is an accessory that mounts the
>speedlight off to the side, and also has a small batt pack
>(6 - AA). Just confirmed: it turns your flash into a sort
>of handle mount flash. Funny couldn't find the info on the
>NikonUSA website, but it was on B&H's.
>
>Accessory batt packs decrease recycle time while increase
>output (# of flashes).
>
>Anthony
>
>Update: The SD-7 and SD-8A (and the SK6/6A) are designed
>for USA models of the SB-28. The Euro versions do not have
>the same accessory power plug. I haven't seen anything
>about the other speedlights.

Many thanks

Simon Barnes

If it isn’t broken, keep fixing it until it is

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 17-Dec-01 02:37 PM
18527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB28 or SB28DX?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

As stated earlier, the "DX" versions are for use on the D1, D1x and D1h digital cameras. These cameras send extra information to the speedlight. They can also be used on traditional film camera.

The SB28 is the current top of the line Nikon Speedlight. Whoever said the SB28 doesn't pack a punch doesn't know what they are talking about: the GN @ 35mm is 118 (in feet) and @85mm is 164 with ISO 100 film. It also has a bounce (-7 to 90 degrees) and swivel (270 degrees) head, head zooms from 24-85 and 18-20 with pull out diffuser, repeating flash, uses D-technology, etc, etc, etc.

Personally, my vote is for an SB-28. Larger and heavier, but definately more versitile. For a smaller, lighter, secondary flash, I'd consider the SB-22s (and if I didn't have an N70, I'd also consider the SB-50DX).

Anthony

Anthony

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 17-Dec-01 03:10 PM
34662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB28 or SB28DX?"
In response to Reply # 5

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Get the SB-28 and never mind the accessories mentioned. You don´t really need them.
As for the "Some another rumour says that this SB28 aren't that powerful enough to punch." Stay away from whoever said that. Misinformed at best, maybe even malicious.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

alexbaroes Basic MemberTue 18-Dec-01 10:59 AM
#7. "RE: SB28 or SB28DX?"
In response to Reply # 6

Medan, ID

Thank you Rumpis, Krf, Jrp, and avm247. I really appreciated for y'all kindness helped. I've just surfed from nikonusa.com and found out that they're releasing a new flash product named SB11 speedlight. I was wondering this could be another powerful flashes beside SB28 as I saw its head flash and its tough handling. But they didn't put the specification details of it though.Beside that, I found out that they're producing a new Digital Camera Nikon Coolpix 5000 w/ its resolution as almost the same as D1x/D1h.

Alex Baroes

Lore Basic MemberThu 20-Dec-01 08:15 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SB28 or SB28DX?"
In response to Reply # 7

Wow, I've been looking to buy a flash system as well, but man, I had no idea that this SB-28 unit would cost so much money!

Gee, is anything in photography not expensive anymore?

Best regards,
Kenneth Chen
University of California, Berkeley

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 20-Dec-01 03:27 PM
#9. "RE: SB28 or SB28DX?"
In response to Reply # 7

Rancho Cordova, US

The SB-11 has been around for a while. This is a link for some specs on the SB-11. This is an off camera, handle type (sometimes called hammer head) flash. I don't believe it provides D-technology. If Nikon were updating it, it seems as if they would introduce it as an SB-11s (the way the SB-22s was an upgrade for the SB-22) or as a new model (the way the SB-21 macro ringlight flash was replaced by the SB-29).

Nikon has a new Full Product Catalog. You can probably order one for free by contacting Nikon.

Anthony

Anthony

raymond Basic MemberWed 02-Jan-02 11:05 AM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "how about SB-28 on a D1x"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

Hi,

How about say you already have an SB-28 then moved to D1. CAn you still use it or should be SB-28DX. As i understand it, it could be used but it is like using a non-D type lens on a Nikon SLR, some distance information will not be provided to the flash system. I could be wrong. Any comments?

raymond

Libra Basic MemberWed 20-Feb-02 03:25 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SB28 or SB28DX?"
In response to Reply # 6

Hi,

From my simple calculation. SB-28 on a Nikon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 lens will throw enough light to capture a picture 71 (seventy-one) feet away when fully extended to 105mm (f4.5) with ISO 400 film.

G.N. 164 FEET AT 85MM ZOOM (ISO100).

Anyone have any practical experience to confirm or otherwise with regards to the above figures?

Libra

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #779 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.