Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #76
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB28, SC17 and SC19" Previous topic | Next topic
cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberFri 06-Jul-01 11:14 PM
6262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB28, SC17 and SC19"

Breaux Bridge, US

Hi,

I have another question concerning the use of these cords with the SB28.

How do I connect the sc19 to the sb28 on the tripod without using the sb17? Is that even possible? Do I need another connection of some sort?

So far, I have to place one end of the sc 17 on hot shoe of camera and connect the sc19 to the other end of the sc17, then connect the other end of the sc 19 to the sb28 on the tripod. I was under the impression that I would only need the sc19 to connect to the sb28 on the tripod. I was hoping to to use the sc19 to another flash unit. ( main and fill flash) Any ideas?

I was also under the impression that I had to use the sc17 to use the sb28 off the camera body. I understand this concept. I use this setup with my stroboframe.

Any help with all of this would be greatly appreciated.

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
"From the Atchafalaya Basin, in Cajun Country, Louisiana, USA"
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

Nikonians® - Worldwide Home for Nikon® Photographers
"Share, Learn and Inspire"

NikoScope® - Find Photography Friends From All Over The World

Nikonians Academy - Master Your Photography
www.nikoniansacademy.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB28, SC17 and SC19
BJNicholls Gold Member
07th Jul 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
07th Jul 2001
va3rrr
12th Jul 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
12th Jul 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
16th Jul 2001
cpatinjone Moderator
17th Jul 2001

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSat 07-Jul-01 03:05 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB28, SC17 and SC19"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-01 AT 05:17 AM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-01 AT 05:11 AM (GMT)

What camera body are you using? You need a body with a TTL socket to connect directly to the flash using the SC-19. Otherwise, you need to go through the hotshoe using the SC-17 to provide connection sockets.

My F100 has a separate TTL connection socket. My N80 has only the hotshoe. Let us know what body you're using.

One flexible option you should consider is an SU-4 TTL remote slave. It doesn't need a TTL cord connection to the camera.

BJ

PS - looking at your profile, you're likely working with an N80. It has no separate TTL socket. Take a look at JRP's review of the SU-4. I have one and it's a good alternative with lots of flexibility. The new SB-50dx flash has a TTL slave capability built in and it will be selling for about $180 street price. I'm considering it as a second flash to my SB-28 instead of my SB-22s.

Remember that you can connect three TTL cords to the SC-17. With the SC-17 connected to your camera's hotshoe, you can put a flash in the hotshoe on the SC-17 (there is a tripod thread underneath) and still connect your SC-19 cord to one of the TTL sockets (a daisy-chain connection).

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberSat 07-Jul-01 09:29 AM
6262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB28, SC17 and SC19"
In response to Reply # 1

Breaux Bridge, US

Thank you for the info. I do have the N80.

If I would purchase the sb50 for a second flsah, how would I set that up as the fill flash, using the existing equipment I mention? I am so new to all of this,so I hope I am asking the questions correctly? Sometimes, I am not sure how to ask.

cpatinjone

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

va3rrr Basic MemberThu 12-Jul-01 09:07 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB28, SC17 and SC19"
In response to Reply # 2

Northern, CA

Hello,

As far as my experience with basically the same equipment you have is that with all the flashes set up, making sure that they are all set to TTL mode and camera to matrix metering you won't have to worry about fill-flash. Your camera's cpu (computer) along with the flashes will do it all for you automatic. It does a nice job, I have never had a lighting problem using my F-80/sb-28 combo with on or off camera flash at all. The only thing you will have to worry about is experimentation with the position of the flashes for different effect.
Another thing I would like to add is that I had once the same question about how to mount my flash with the sc-19 on it from a sc-17. I have another cheap ttl off-camera coiled flash cord simillar to the sc-17 with a theaded bottom. I would use this on my tripod where I would mount the sb-28 and the other end dangling. Just make sure the hanging end does not short out on the tripod. I do agree the slave unit is the way to go though.

Hope this helps some?

RY

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberThu 12-Jul-01 11:11 PM
#4. "RE: SB28, SC17 and SC19"
In response to Reply # 3

Breaux Bridge, US

Thanks.

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberMon 16-Jul-01 01:55 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB28, SC17 and SC19"
In response to Reply # 4

Salt Lake City, US

I have the luxury of using a Coolpix 990 to preview the effect of multiple flashes before shooting with my film bodies. This mimics the way professional studio photographers work with Polaroid proofs to check lighting. Although the Coolpix isn't true TTL, the flash sensor next to the lens simulates true TTL operation. I realize this is a pricey way to accomplish the job, but if you can't justify buying one you may be able to borrow one to practice with. It's much easier to learn the basics of using multiple flashes when you can get immediate feedback from your camera.

I second the advice to experiment with positions of multiple flashes and I find bounce and "softbox" type diffusers very helpful for getting the best results. Also remember that manual flash settings often provide more control than you'll get from TTL alone.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

cpatinjone Moderator awarded for a wide variety of photography skills Charter MemberTue 17-Jul-01 11:31 PM
#6. "RE: SB28, SC17 and SC19"
In response to Reply # 5

Breaux Bridge, US

Thanks for the info.

Have a great day!
Cpatinjone (Carolyn)

www.nikoniansacademy.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #76 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.