Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #751
View in linear mode

Subject: "Remote Flash Question" Previous topic | Next topic
mythrenegade Basic MemberThu 13-Dec-01 06:23 AM
1848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Remote Flash Question"

Oak Hills, US

I did some pictures with my SB50 as a remote flash, trying to learn how to make this work. I set the camera on manual to disable the pre-flashes, and set the flash within the 28mm coverage of the builtin flash on the N80, but outside of my visible area on my picture.

I took several shots, all with the self timer, of me and my family sitting on a couch with me reading to my kids. The problem is the pictures came out looking like we are sitting on the couch, and a nuclear blast is taking place just off camera, providing a significant amount of light on our faces and such

What did I do wrong? This is not quite the effect I was looking for...

Joel

Nikonian in the High Desert of Southern California.

The Manzanar Project: http://www.renewingmind.com/photography/manzanar/manzanar.html

Check out my blog: http://transformingrenewal.blogspot.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

photobri Basic MemberThu 13-Dec-01 10:27 AM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Remote Flash Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

What were your Manual settings?
What was your film?
How far from the subject (your family) was the camera and the flash?

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

mythrenegade Basic MemberThu 13-Dec-01 04:08 PM
1848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Remote Flash Question"
In response to Reply # 1

Oak Hills, US

Manual settings were 1/125 and f3.5, lens set at about 35mm. The flash was fairly close, say about three feet from my wife and about six feet from me. It had to be this close to be within the coverage area of the 28mm builtin flash.

Film was Fuji Reala.

Joel

PS - The flash beeped afterwards to indicate that it had fired at full power and there wasn't enough light. Obviously this wasn't the case...

The Manzanar Project: http://www.renewingmind.com/photography/manzanar/manzanar.html

meerkat Basic MemberThu 13-Dec-01 11:36 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Remote Flash Question"
In response to Reply # 0

silly-can valley, US

watch for:

1. you fail to describe the most important setting,
the slaved flash is set to manual mode or auto mode,
it has to be auto mode, as otherwise (manual mode),
sb-50 can only output at full power, if so, the distance
of speedlite to subject has to be calculated.

Setting to auto slave mode enable you use TTL flash.

2. if your speedlite is somewhat sideway, your family
members are sitting with substantial difference to
thw speedlite, then it is hard for speedlite properly
lit all of them

3. make sure your exposre mode and area are rational,
say if you not aware you set to spot metering, may be
the spot area is properly lit but your true subject
suffer, or if you use center meter, and the center
is somewhere other your family member.

4. What is the camera reading without flash, say, in A
mode, camera S reading is 1/250, now you pop up
the flash, to compromise sync speed, the camera
auto set S=1/125 if not 1/60, the camera will
over expose (even if the flash fail to fire).
watch for the "HI" warning in viewfinder.

Oh boy, I wrote all day emails at work, going to stop blah.

Meerkat

mythrenegade Basic MemberFri 14-Dec-01 02:05 AM
#4. "RE: Remote Flash Question"
In response to Reply # 3

Oak Hills, US

The ambient light was too low to meter properly (and irrelevant with the flash unless I wanted slow sync, which with a 3 year old in the picture is a definate (how do you spell that word?) no-no), so I simply set the exposure manually

It is possible that I accidentally set it (the flash) to manual mode and not auto mode. The difference is a very small "M" verses a very small "A" and I didn't double check this prior to shooting.

I'll have to try the same shot again and see what happens. I hope you are right and this was my mistake!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Joel

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #751 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.