Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #741
View in linear mode

Subject: "flash for FM2" Previous topic | Next topic
xavi Basic MemberMon 10-Dec-01 07:35 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"flash for FM2"

Which flash should i buy for my FM2 ?.
Considering it's a non TTL camera does it have sense to buy a TTL
flash?
I don´t own or any other camera and have no intention to buy a modern camera.
My lenses are 28/2.8 50/1.8 & 105/2.5 manual

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: flash for FM2
jrp Administrator
10th Dec 2001
henry
11th Dec 2001
Ed
11th Dec 2001
highlander
15th Dec 2001
jnscbl
15th Dec 2001

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 10-Dec-01 12:30 PM
34791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: flash for FM2"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Probably it doesn't make sense to get a TTL flash.
When I had my Nikkormats I got very nice results with the Vivitar 283. You can still get them new or used for bargain price.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

henry Basic MemberTue 11-Dec-01 01:13 AM
391 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: flash for FM2"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

I was in the same situation about a year back, using FM2n. I decided on sunpak 383. It has manual power control which is a great great idea for a non-ttl camera. You can control how much power the flash emits. This way the flash unit works for fill, balance and/or as main ligh source.

I don't know if the vivitar 283 has the manual output control. Sunapk 383 is about 70 to 80 bucks new.

Henry

a californian's {quest in} new york
http://www.zucken.com

-----
a californian's {quest in} new york:
http://www.zucken.com

and my photo site:

http://www.weddingsconcept.com

Ed Basic MemberTue 11-Dec-01 04:59 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: flash for FM2"
In response to Reply # 2

US

No, the 283 has no manual control, just full manual and 4 auto ranges. You can buy a cheap 283 accessory that plugs into the auto sensor, whereby you lose the auto ranges but gain manual control from 1/1 to 1/64 and various increments within.

Its bigger brother 285HV has all the 283 offers plus manual control down to 1/16.

You'd be wasting your money on a TTL flash unit if you're not planning to buy a camera that will use this feature.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

highlander Basic MemberSat 15-Dec-01 06:01 AM
259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: flash for FM2"
In response to Reply # 0

Maple Ridge, CA

I use a Vivitar 285 and a Metz 45 CL4 for my FM-2n, and have very reliablly for 10 yrs now. I find that once you are use the manual flash exposure you can do it very fast and reliable.
Even fill flash is a snap once you get the hang of it.

John R
Maple Ridge, BC

John R
Nikonian to the West Coast of Canada
Taking life 2-gigs at a time

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 15-Dec-01 05:08 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: flash for FM2"
In response to Reply # 4

US

If you are going to be using the flash alot, such as shooting indoor events or whatever, the Speedlights have a clear advantage--all the controls are on the back. This is especially convenient on the SB24 (26,28). It's nice to just tap a little button and read the LCD display, instead of having to turn the rig on its side and try to twist a tight little plastic dial to change settings, then read the microscopic color-coded numbers in low light.
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #741 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.