Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #724
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF" Previous topic | Next topic
Fountainhead Basic MemberSun 09-Dec-01 02:06 PM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF"

US

I'm looking for a speedlight for my N65. I don't want to spend a great deal of $$$, as it is only for occasional, casual use. I've narrowed the choices down to the SB-50, or the Sunpak 5000AF. They are roughly the same cost ($165 for the Nikon, $150 for the Sunpak) and represent the most I'd want to spend.

The Sunpak would seem to be significantly more powerful (GN 139 at 50MM, vs 93 for the SB50), but I worry that I'd be giving up something by getting a third party flash. Does the Sunpak work as well with the N65 as the SB50? Does the SB50 provide any features that would be missing from the Sunpak? FWIW, I'd likely never use the flash off-camera, or in conjunction with other flash units.

Thanks for any guidance.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF
mythrenegade
10th Dec 2001
afinegold
15th Dec 2001
photobri
15th Dec 2001
Blackjack
01st Jan 2002
MSchrouder
09th Jan 2002
meerkat
09th Jan 2002
mythrenegade
09th Jan 2002
meerkat
09th Jan 2002
mazdaprotwo
10th Jan 2002

mythrenegade Basic MemberMon 10-Dec-01 02:08 AM
1848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF"
In response to Reply # 0

Oak Hills, US

I don't know anything about the sunpack, but I can say a few things about the SB50...

First off on the GN, using Nikon's formula, when used in conjuction with the builtin speedlight in the N65, you would have a GN of 101 (if the N65's flash is GN of 40) @ 50mm, which isn't hugely different but does close the gap some.

The SB50 works with Nikon's D technology, which is supposed to take the distance of the focused subject into account and shuts off the flash when that subject is properly exposed. I do not know if this would happen the same with the 3rd party flash or not.

The builtin remote capability of the SB50 is significant. You may not think you would ever use it off camera, but the advantage is huge. It gives you the ability to gain light from the side, which can help eliminate harsh shadows and provides some interesting effects.

I know nothing about the Sunpack, so I hope someone else can shed some "light" onto this subject for you. So far, I've been very happy with my SB50.

Joel

Nikonian in the High Desert of Southern California.

The Manzanar Project: http://www.renewingmind.com/photography/manzanar/manzanar.html

Check out my blog: http://transformingrenewal.blogspot.com

afinegold Basic MemberSat 15-Dec-01 06:32 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF"
In response to Reply # 1

Bellevue, US

I'm also interested in this comparison, so could we bring this thread up to the top and see if anyone can shed any light (no pun intended!!).

Thanks,

Al--

photobri Basic MemberSat 15-Dec-01 10:42 AM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

With the features you get for $165, the SB50dx is an incredible value. I just received mine and here is what I can say so far...

Easiest Nikon speedlight to mount that I have ever had. The plate is solid metal and it slides on nicely. Just one turn of a lever to lock it.
Aims at -18 degrees for close ups. If your pop up is activated when you try to go close up, the flash will tell you. It will also remind you to use built in diffuser.
The screen will also tell you when you are in bounce mode and the flash will go to 50mm coverage - It will tell you when you are straight on - 0 degrees - it will tell you if your pop up is up or not.
It goes to an amazing 14mm wide... But not too powerful.
Light-weight and compact.
Remote wireless slave.

A great flash for an N80 (or N65) and I plan on using it with my F100 for macro and slave functions

Brian

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

Blackjack Basic MemberTue 01-Jan-02 11:35 PM
96 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF"
In response to Reply # 3

I don't know much about D chips, but I was under the impression that for 3d Matrix Fill Flash you just need a camera and a lens that support it, the flash could be any dedicated unit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

MSchrouder Registered since 01st Mar 2007Wed 09-Jan-02 01:02 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF"
In response to Reply # 3

Zionsville, US

>Remote wireless slave?

I'm looking at he SB-50 as well and would like further clarification on the wireless remote feature. Am I correct to understand I can fire the SB-50 off camera with the built in speedlight on my N80? Will true TTL control be maintained even though the SB-50 is not physically attached? The saleman at my local Nikon dealer didn't know for sure and it's not clear from the description in either the manual or the Nikon catalog. Anything information you have on this would be appreciated.

Real Funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes!

meerkat Basic MemberWed 09-Jan-02 01:25 AM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF"
In response to Reply # 5

silly-can valley, US

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-02 AT 03:27 AM (GMT)

Specifically, for your slave wireless mode,

standard TTL can be achieved, 3D maxtrix TTL
cannot be performed, this is due to preflashing
must be disable to avoid trigger sb50 prematurelly.

Unless you shoot against a mirror or something similiar,
Standard TTL simply work fine and in most shooting cases
you cannot find any difference,

In addition, even you have a SB28 etc, to use as a wireless
slave (with SU4), you also confined to standard TTL mode,
for the same reason as said above. So this is a restriction not only for SB50.

meerkat

meerkat

mythrenegade Basic MemberWed 09-Jan-02 08:46 PM
1848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF"
In response to Reply # 5

Oak Hills, US

As above, you DO get true TTL flash. The SB50 cuts off when the primary flash cuts off. I did a shot a couple of nights ago where I was shooting my wife and son, and there was a white wall behind them. I put the SB50 on the table and aimed it at the wall to wipe out the shadow that would normally be created by the N80's internal flash. I'll let you know how it turned out, but it should be pretty sweet.

I have had a lot of fun trying to use the creative opportunities that a wireless flash opens up. I haven't gotten a "killer" picture back yet as a result, but I'm very new to the idea of a flash anywhere other than on top of my camera.

Be careful though, if you set the SB50 for manual exposure when you set it wireless, you end up with it firing at full power. I did this once by accident, and my pictures look like a small nuclear explosion was taking place just off camera...

Joel

Nikonian in the High Desert of Southern California.

The Manzanar Project: http://www.renewingmind.com/photography/manzanar/manzanar.html

Check out my blog: http://transformingrenewal.blogspot.com

meerkat Basic MemberWed 09-Jan-02 09:49 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF"
In response to Reply # 7

silly-can valley, US

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-02 AT 11:53 PM (GMT)

I hope my concern is unnecessary.

when you use the wireless slave flash to lit up the white wall to remove shadow, it is easily lead to your subject underexposed although the overall picture lightness balance seems just right.
This is especially true if the wall part is relatively large portion in your picture, maxtrix metering. Use spot metering on subject is more guaranteed in this case (but you may end up the background wall over-exposed if sb50 to wall is too short compare
with camera to subject).

At least this is something need to aware of in composition and metering. Otherwise, it easily lead to this shot is awesome, next one with slight change in composition/flash setup is terrible.

Try to stay away from wall as far as possible, and use bracket frame or use the flash for ceiling bounce worth a consideration.
(We can use SB50 ceiling bounce in vertical shot, using either
a SC-17 cord or a flash bracket, might be use the sb50 as
a slave but point to ceiling is not bad)

meerkat

mazdaprotwo Basic MemberThu 10-Jan-02 03:30 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SB-50 vs Sunpak PZ-5000AF"
In response to Reply # 8

I would suggest going with the sb-50dx. I have tried using sunpak on my other cameras (MINOLTA) and have always had compatibility problems. I also think that these off-brand flash's can never perform as good as the original stuff. You will often find features missing or will have to adjust a lot to get equal results. The TTL is often not TRUE TTL.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #724 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.