Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #718
View in linear mode

Subject: "Another stupid flash question" Previous topic | Next topic
N80 Silver Member Charter MemberSat 08-Dec-01 11:15 PM
8588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Another stupid flash question"

Rock Hill, US

I've already mentioned in another post that someone gave me an old SB-15 Speedlight. It is a TTL flash so it works fairly automaticall on the N80. However, in TTL mode, the ISO rating is from 25 to 400. When this flash was made apparently the FG was the only body that could take advantage of the TTL feature. My question is: is there something inherent in the flash unit that makes using 800 speed film a problem or is this dependant on the camera itself? It will work fine in its automatic and Manual modes with higher than 400 film, just not in TTL.

Does anyone know what happens when higher than recommended speed film is used when I use this flash with the N80...how about an FG?

George (N80)
http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~gebarron/photography/

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 09-Dec-01 03:28 AM
34468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Another stupid flash question"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The SB-15 came to market in 1982, so you are right, it was probably made for the FM2 and/or the FG. The then revolutionary feature of the FG (only) was TTL flash, made available one year later in the FE2 too.
It should work well with higher speeds, if you can set them on the flash.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jnscbl Basic MemberSun 09-Dec-01 01:24 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Another stupid flash question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Maybe it was the camera that had the limitation. If it really is a limitation of the flash, 800ISO TTL flash pictures would be overexposed, since the flash wouldn't shut down quick enough. At 800, better test it with negative film and a CD rather than slide film.

---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

N80 Silver Member Charter MemberSun 09-Dec-01 03:32 PM
8588 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Another stupid flash question"
In response to Reply # 2

Rock Hill, US

I suspect it must be a camera issue. The SB-15 manual says the top and bottom LEDs in the FG will flash if the flash unit is set at 800 ISO. I get no warning of any sort with the N80. I'm going to run some tests. The SB-15 does have a setting for 800 and will work in manual mode or its own Auto mode which uses a single on-flash sensor.

Currently I'm pleased with this unit. I took some Macro pictures (slides even) this summer that turned out okay using this flash. I'll post them if I get a chance.

I'm slowly figuring this stuff out, but flash work still seems like voodoo to me.

George (N80)
http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~gebarron/photography/

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #718 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.