nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How do modern Speedlights work.

N80

Rock Hill, US
8649 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
N80 Silver Member Charter Member
Sat 08-Dec-01 04:02 PM

I was recently given a used SB-15 Speedlight. It is in great shape and works well and is surprisingly compatible with my N80 (according to the N80 manual). From the SB-15 manual it appears that this flash was designed with the FG in mind. It has a guide number of about 80 feet/25 meters, about twice that of the built in. It is very flexible as far as bounce goes: when in the horizontal position the flash head can rotate to pointing straight up with 4 stops in between. You flip the whole thing over and the flash head can point downward in the same increments...great for macro work. When the whole unit is fliped up vertically the flash head can tilt to the left or right the same way..not bad.

So I'm asking myself, why do I need new Speedlight? Of course the reason I'm asking myself that is because I've never used or even looked at a more modern Speedlight and have no idea how they function. With the SB-15 (and the SB-16 I used to own, a great flash) you have to turn a dial to determine the best aperture for your subject distance. This isn't that big a deal but it does limit you when it comes to catching on-going events (vs posed shots).

So, how do they work? Other than the info being on an LCD what is the difference between the type with the dial and the new ones? I know they have automatic zoom heads vs the kind on the SB-16 that you adjust by hand. How does and SB-28 know what your zoom setting is?

George (N80)
http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~gebarron/photography/

George Barron

My Nikonians Gallery is here:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1091

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How do modern Speedlights work.

G