Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #701
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which Speedlight for my N65?" Previous topic | Next topic
Fountainhead Basic MemberFri 07-Dec-01 11:44 AM
127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which Speedlight for my N65?"

US

I'm very confused about the current and past range of Nikon Speedlights, and which will function with my N65. Nikon's site is of little use determining which function work with which bodies. I'm also looking on Ebay for used units, as the new ones are almost too expensive for my purposes. Basically, I'm seeing SB-24, SB-25, SB-26, SB-28, and SB-50. Call all of these be used with the N65 body? Which one would be best suited for the N65? How about the Sunpaks...the 4000AF, or 5000AF? Would I be giving away too much by not getting a Nikon Speedlight?

Thanks for any guidance.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which Speedlight for my N65?
mythrenegade
08th Dec 2001
H_Beasley
05th Feb 2002
tomspratt
06th Feb 2002
bclark
18th Feb 2002
Nikon_Freak
18th Feb 2002

mythrenegade Basic MemberSat 08-Dec-01 06:34 AM
1848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which Speedlight for my N65?"
In response to Reply # 0

Oak Hills, US

The manual for my SB-50DX says that it works with the N65 using Matrix Balanced Fill Flash and standard TTL flash.

In short, it should be a great flash with your N65. It's fairly cheap and versatile, including remote flash capability that will work in conjunction with your N65's builtin flash.

It's not Nikon's most powerful flash (GN 66 @ 28mm) but it may be their best overall value in a flash.

Joel

Nikonian in the High Desert of Southern California.

The Manzanar Project: http://www.renewingmind.com/photography/manzanar/manzanar.html

Check out my blog: http://transformingrenewal.blogspot.com

H_Beasley Registered since 04th Feb 2002Tue 05-Feb-02 09:38 PM
180 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which Speedlight for my N65?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

To also add, the SB-28 works just fine on that body too. I have a 28 I use on my N80 that I 'loan' to the wife for her N65. It only does standard TTL, but that is fine for most all uses of this camera/strobe combo. I would recommend something less in the money dept as you won't be able to realise all the functions of the Sb-28 with the N65, but wanted to chime in that it will indeed work.

Nikon v. Canon? = What brand of chisels and brushes did Michelangelo use?

Nikon v. Canon? = What brand of chisels and brushes did Michelangelo use?

tomspratt Basic MemberWed 06-Feb-02 05:21 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which Speedlight for my N65?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hummelstown, US

My son has a SB-50DX to go along with his N65, and this combination takes very nice pictures.

-Tom

bclark Registered since 07th Feb 2002Mon 18-Feb-02 01:28 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which Speedlight for my N65?"
In response to Reply # 0

Salisbury, US

Hello,

I have a N70, which I was using a cheaper model Vivitar with, I wasnt greatly impressed with it, so I found a good deal on a SB-25, and found the results to be incredible compared to my other flash, however, I have used the Pro vivitars and they also do a good job, but have not compared the two much. I got a great deal and I couldnt have afforded EBAY prices for the SB-25. The SB-24,25,and 26 are pretty similar, the only difference I know of is the built in slave on the SB-26, there might be others that I know of. Also, I have heard that these have larger flash heads than that of the SB-28, but what really matters is the Guide Number. Hope this helps and is not too late.

Nikon_Freak Basic MemberMon 18-Feb-02 04:34 AM
1846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Which Speedlight for my N65?"
In response to Reply # 4

Mt. Juliet, US

Go with the SB-50DX It was designed for the N-series cameras. The white panel on the front of the flash comes down over the built in flash to defuse it, giviving extra fill. I would only look at the SB-28 for the N65 if I was looking to upgrade in the near future to an F100 or F5.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #701 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.