nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #670
View in linear mode

Subject: "used speedlights" Previous topic | Next topic
sius Basic MemberThu 29-Nov-01 11:51 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"used speedlights"

I am planning to buy a used SB28. My friend told me that there's a limited life with the light bulb of the speedlight (so it may not be advisable to buy a used one). Is this true? Can someone also advise me how to test a used speedlight? Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: used speedlights
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
30th Nov 2001
jnscbl
30th Nov 2001
Johnny
30th Nov 2001
Newsphotog
30th Nov 2001
meerkat
30th Nov 2001
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
01st Dec 2001
Johnny
02nd Dec 2001
mythrenegade
03rd Dec 2001
Johnny
05th Dec 2001
Witness
07th Dec 2001

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 30-Nov-01 03:46 AM
35268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Yes, they do have a limited life ............ which is usually much longer than ours. If you want to perform a test, it is really simple: shoot a roll of slides with it.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jnscbl Basic MemberFri 30-Nov-01 02:38 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Just when you think you've heard everything
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Johnny Basic MemberFri 30-Nov-01 03:07 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

Westampton, US

I have a used SB26. I do imagine the bulb will burn out someday but until then, I'll keep using it. *shrug*

The best way to keep any speedlight from burning out is to not use it at all. But then again, the shutter on your camera is rated for X number of firings. You might want to not use your camera because you might use up the shutter. Best bet would be to put your camera and flash on the shelf in your closet.

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

Newsphotog Basic MemberFri 30-Nov-01 03:15 PM
2562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 3

Toronto, CA

A good and safe way of testing it...........buy it, use it and then tell us when it burns out.......most if all of us won't be with this world any longer.

It sounds smug, but unless you're shooting dozens of rolls a day, everyday, you're probably not going to burn out your flash unless you blow a circuit or something drastically goes wrong with it.

Buy it, enjoy it and everything should be fine. The other contributors do make fun but they have a good point. No reason to worry about something that I have never heard of happening.

John
Toronto, Canada
http://www.johnriddell.com

John
Toronto, Canada

www.sportsshooter.com/johnriddell
www.torontofirephotos.ca

meerkat Basic MemberFri 30-Nov-01 11:43 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 0

silly-can valley, US

I'm kind of OT here.

Speedlite is highly electronic toys, when buy
a used speedlight from unknown, do try to aware of
unexpected behaviour, such God-triggered firing etc.

meerkat

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 01-Dec-01 02:46 AM
35268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 5

San Pedro Garza García, MX

And a good wipe with alcohol wouln't be a bad idea either.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Johnny Basic MemberSun 02-Dec-01 05:31 AM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 5

Westampton, US

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-01 AT 06:33 AM (GMT)

God-triggered firing

I have seen this happen when people turn on one or both devices before they attach them together. Best thing would be to make sure both devices are off before attachment.

Johnny

Johnny

---

mythrenegade Basic MemberMon 03-Dec-01 09:46 PM
1848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 7

Oak Hills, US

God Triggered Firing?!?!?

I'll bet his pictures turn out a lot better than mine

Joel

Nikonian in the High Desert of Southern California.

The Manzanar Project: http://www.renewingmind.com/photography/manzanar/manzanar.html

Check out my blog: http://transformingrenewal.blogspot.com

Johnny Basic MemberWed 05-Dec-01 03:23 PM
#9. "RE: used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 8

Westampton, US

I'll bet his pictures turn out a lot better than mine

That is because most of the time, He has a better vantage point to shoot from.

Johnny

Johnny

---

Witness Basic MemberFri 07-Dec-01 04:36 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: used speedlights"
In response to Reply # 9

Seoul,

Hi.

I can't stop laughing!
You guys are so funny. Hahaha.
I was in class(MIS) when I read
this, and I burst out into a hearty
laugh. Gee, I shouldn't be logging in
when I'm in class. Teehee...

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #670 Previous topic | Next topic