nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #6613
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anything between the SB50 and SB80/800?" Previous topic | Next topic
aaronoto   B'Ham, US  Registered since 08th Oct 2003 Tue 06-Jan-04 02:07 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anything between the SB50 and SB80/800?"

I'm looking at getting a flash but it seems as though there is a rather large gap from the SB50 to SB80/800. I want more power than the 50 but the 80/800 is a little out of my price range. Isn't there anything in the $200-300 range that would fit this bill?

If not I guess I'll just have to save up for the SB-800. It's more power than I'll ever need but I've learned more then once that if you don't shell out money for good equipment at the get go you'll just end up spending a lot more later to upgrade.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Rancho Cordova, US  Charter Member Tue 06-Jan-04 03:44 PM
18632 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anything between the SB50 and SB80/800?"
In response to Reply # 0

There are currently four speedlights in the current lineup: SB-29s (macro ring light), SB-30DX (small convenient flash for digicams, mostly), SB-50DX (more powerful, not at feature laden), SB-800 (top of the line, king of the hill, all the bells, whistles and then some).

(Edited to correct SB-80DX to SB-800)

How about an "older, pre-owned" speedlight: SB-25, SB-26, SB-28, SB-80DX, even the SB-27. I love the SB-28!

What kind of body are you using? Digital SLR, film SLR, Coolpix???

Anthony

Find out more about me on the Moderator Page
"The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine   US  Charter Member Tue 06-Jan-04 08:39 PM
10967 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anything between the SB50 and SB80/800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Assuming your profile is up-to-date (I'm always guilty of this ), the N80 can take the majority of the currently available Speedlights, so you don't need to limit yourself to a DX flash, unless you're planning to go to digital soon. Also, there are plenty of third-party Speedlights, including Sunpak and Metz that are comparable to the SB-80 but at much affordable prices. I agree with Anthony - there's a glut of SB28s out there since folks started cutting over to digital in the D1 days - a very powerful bounce/swivel unit with tons of features. The Metz 54 is also another popular choice, as well as the Sunpak PZ5000AF.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

aaronoto   B'Ham, US  Registered since 08th Oct 2003 Wed 07-Jan-04 12:42 AM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Anything between the SB50 and SB80/800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm using the N80 but with hopes of upgrading to a DSLR somewhere down the road (aren't we all ). So DX doesn't matter to me at this time. Looks like a used SB-28 is gonna be my best bet, but I'll check out the Sunpak and Metz offerings.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #6613 Previous topic | Next topic