Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #6604
View in linear mode

Subject: "Picture underexposed" Previous topic | Next topic
akert Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2002Sun 04-Jan-04 04:07 PM
544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Picture underexposed"

Berschis, CH

This is a link to the "critique and technical advice" forum where I posted a question regarding an underexposed image taken with two speedlights.
Please add any comments you have. Thank you!

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID34/3921.html

Peter, a Nikonian near the Lake of Zurich
truly analog

Peter

"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into"
Ansel Adams

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

grmedhat1 Registered since 24th Mar 2002Sun 04-Jan-04 06:03 PM
1569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Picture underexposed"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I've read the comments in the other forum and the only other suggestion I can make would be to adjust the SB80 head downward. White card out is OK. I would position the head so the light bouncing from the ceiling is reflected toward the subject (about 1/3 of the way between flash and subject). At 90 degrees you are effectively bouncing the light straight down onto the camera again. As suggested the white background may be effecting the exposure so increase flash compensation about 1/3 or 2/3 stops.

Also what aperture were you using? If you were using a small aperture that may also be a cause. If so open up.

Happy Shooting
Garry

akert Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2002Sun 04-Jan-04 09:10 PM
544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Picture underexposed"
In response to Reply # 1

Berschis, CH

Thank you Garry. I'll try your suggestions. Unfortunately, I don't recall the aperture that was set.

Peter, a Nikonian near the Lake of Zurich
truly analog

Peter

"A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into"
Ansel Adams

Saxofonix Awarded for his shared expert professional advice on photography at large and most notably on speedlight usage Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 21st Jun 2002Thu 08-Jan-04 05:07 AM
316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "flash modes ??"
In response to Reply # 2

Wayne, US

You say you set your flash to TTL mode .. but you don't specify which TTL mode. Did you use Standard TTL or Balanced Fill-Flash TTL ??

The difference is crucial. If you shoot indoors where your flash is the main source of light, then using Fill-Flash TTL (with the Matrix sign), WILL give you under-exposed photos.

Use Standard TTL instead. This will definitely improve the accuracy of your indoors flash photography

Neil vN.
http://www.planetneil.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #6604 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.