nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #660
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?" Previous topic | Next topic
Magnus Wed 28-Nov-01 07:18 AM

"Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?"

Are there any functions the SB28 have that the Metz lacks?

Are there any functions the Metz have that SB28 lacks?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?
CrazyWabbit
28th Jan 2002
JM
28th Jan 2002
CrazyWabbit
28th Jan 2002
photobri
28th Jan 2002
gewe21
03rd Feb 2002
CrazyWabbit
03rd Feb 2002
gewe21
04th Feb 2002
nharwood
03rd Feb 2002
Clubsport
04th Feb 2002

CrazyWabbit Registered since 28th Jan 2002Mon 28-Jan-02 05:29 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dallas, US

I am wondering this same thing. I am in search of a flash now, and the dual head of the Metz is attractive for bounce flash. So, other than having a slightly higher guide number and two heads, what is the difference between these two flashes? Anyone?

Brian

JM Registered since 02nd Mar 2007Mon 28-Jan-02 06:50 AM
2468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Altho I have no direct experiance with either flash from what I gather from browsing the Metz and various retailers sites the only function that MAY be missing is 3D matrix balanced fill flash. The metz may even have that but I have no basis to be sure. The Metz units have a great reputation and are supposedly built like tanks (so very like Nikon in that regard) and have been designed to function with their current generation cameras in mind. Many at Nikonians prefer to remain true to the brandbut there are options in 3rd party equipment whose price makes them reasonable alternatives.
Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I am still using an old, not older but old, Auto style 283 Vivitar flash that works well with both my F and the N70.

JM
The Chicagoan

CrazyWabbit Registered since 28th Jan 2002Mon 28-Jan-02 07:29 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?"
In response to Reply # 2

Dallas, US

>the only function that MAY be missing is 3D matrix
>balanced fill flash. The metz may even have that but I have
>no basis to be sure. The Metz units have a great reputation
>and are supposedly built like tanks (so very like Nikon in
>that regard) and have been designed to function with their
>current generation cameras in mind.

According to the 54MZ3 manual I got online from Metz, it is able to do TTL, and 3d matrix - except when you use the second smaller reflector.

It is a hard choice between the SB-28 or the Metz. The big selling point of the Metz for me is the dual flash head when using bounce flash.

Brian

photobri Basic MemberMon 28-Jan-02 11:43 AM
2334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

Can it high speed synch with the F5, F100 and N90s up to 1/4000 of a second?
Maybe it can? I only have Nikon Speedlights and I have never second-guessed my decision...
What are we talking about in savings?

Nikonian in the Phoenician Desert

Brian

Phoenix Nikonian

Fine Art Wedding Photojournalism

gewe21 Basic MemberSun 03-Feb-02 07:41 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?"
In response to Reply # 4

Milwaukee, US

I've already had an SB-28, and have been very satisfied with the results I get. My main photography subject is portrait, and so far 99% of the results I get using Nikon's fill-flash are pretty excellent. However, two days ago I had the chance to buy a used Metz 54 MZ3 for US$ 225. Since I have 2 bodies, and thinking of giving a set of camera (body, lens, and speedlight) to my younger brother, I bought the Metz.

As others have said, the main attraction of the Metz is its dual flash head, although that mode would disactivate the 3D multisensor balance flash. Guide number is 174, about 14 more than the SB-28. For those having more than 1 camera system (Nikon + maybe Minolta, Canon, Pentax, whatever...), only by changing/buying new SCA "foot", you can use the Metz with those other systems. Also, the main flash head is larger than the SB, which should reduce hot-spots ? The Metz also sits higher than the SB28, making it less prone to red-eye.

The downside ? Well, there are a couple to mention. Metz 54 MZ3 is darn huge for a shoe-mount flash, a tad taller than the SB-28. Also, the wide angle diffuser only covers 20mm, compared to 18mm of the SB28. Also, less buttons on the rear LCD panels means that you need to do more fiddling to change settings. It also has audible "beep" for confirmation, which can be good, or annoying (it can be disabled, though).

Sorry, I can't yet say anything about the quality of the result, because I just tested it today (just 2 shots, and I still have about 24 exposures left on the film).

George Oei
Madison, WI
"Dude, you're getting a Nikkor !!!"

CrazyWabbit Registered since 28th Jan 2002Sun 03-Feb-02 06:02 PM
#6. "RE: Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?"
In response to Reply # 5

Dallas, US

Gewe - I would love to see some of those test shots when you get them back as well as your thoughts of working with it. Could you post some of your images when you finish that roll?

Thanks
Brian

gewe21 Basic MemberMon 04-Feb-02 08:45 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?"
In response to Reply # 6

Milwaukee, US

I'll try to post some images, but I can't promise that it would happen soon. Sorry.

George Oei

George Oei
Madison, WI
"Dude, you're getting a Nikkor !!!"

nharwood Basic MemberSun 03-Feb-02 06:25 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nashville, US

Yeah, the SB28 can do something the Metz 54MZ-3 can't...

The SB-28 costs $50.00 less at B&H.

However, the Metz unit recycles about a half second faster than the SB-28, but also weighs in almost a quarter pound heavier than the 28.

On the other hand, the SB-28 has a built in bounce card AND a $25 rebate till 3/31/02... Then again it's out of stock at B&H.

But wait, there's more... the Metz has a $30 rebate until 3/2/02 and IS in stock!

Decisions, decisions. My personal choice would be the 28, since I typically try to find comparable flashes that cost less, not more.

Regards,

Nathan

Clubsport Basic MemberMon 04-Feb-02 09:45 AM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Can a SB28 do something a Metz 54 can't?"
In response to Reply # 7

In regard to the dual flash as a major benefit:

I own a Metz45CL4. Dual head gun. On my gun the secondary or fill flash head always fires at the same output. The strength of fill can only be controlled by using a diffuser clipped in front of it. Metz supplies a clip on one as standard.
What I can tell you from my experiences, is the secondary flash does cast substantial shadows in the background. As a fill while using bounce it isn't too overwhelming on the subject itself for general work but for me, I'll only use it when my subject is nowhere near a wall etc, if I use it at all. Just beware of this. Secondary heads might seem like a great idea but do also have pitfalls.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #660 Previous topic | Next topic