Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #646
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-23 and my F5" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr67GP Basic MemberTue 27-Nov-01 12:18 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-23 and my F5"

Jackson Twp, US

Hi,

A few weeks ago I had started a thread in the F5 users forum relating to my search for a small speedlight to slip on the camera for casual shots. I promised to continue it here, so here I am.

I wanted something to replace the pop-up flash that was so useful on my N70 that I just recently left. I had asked about the SB-23, but not many people have apparently used this unit. Physically it looked to be about perfect, with a slightly higher GN than the little N70 strobe, but a low, compact package that would in no way replace my SB-28 (which I use often and love).

I found a very clean used SB-23 on ebay and won the auction at the opening bid. The unit arrived a few days later and I quickly fell in love with it. It was just the size I wanted, and I hoped it would perform as desired. I just got back the first prints with it, and I am thrilled. I took several rolls indoors at my sons Cub Scout pack meeting. I usedd the camera handheld on P with the unit on auto, and the results were excellent. No redeye, and nice even lighting with the 35-70/2.8 nikkor I use regularly. Recycle times are nearly instantaneous.

I now plan to do some more testing/playing to see what its limitations are (other than the obvious). I just thought I would share my initial experiences with others who might be considering this diminutive but capable tool. I have found what I was looking for, and at a great price!

Jim Korczak
Evidence shooter
www.summitresources.com

Jim Korczak
Evidence Shooter
www.summitresources.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-23 and my F5
jrp Administrator
27th Nov 2001
Reply message RE: SB-23 and my F5
Nikon_Freak
04th Dec 2001
Reply message I just bought MY SB-23 on ebay...
unkleboo
09th Dec 2001
Reply message RE: I just bought MY SB-23 on ebay...
Mr67GP
09th Dec 2001
     Reply message RE: I just bought MY SB-23 on ebay...
unkleboo
10th Dec 2001
     Reply message One other thing
unkleboo
10th Dec 2001
          Reply message RE: One other thing
Mr67GP
16th Dec 2001
unkleboo
17th Dec 2001
unkleboo
17th Dec 2001
Mr67GP
17th Dec 2001
avm247 Moderator
18th Dec 2001
Mr67GP
23rd Dec 2001

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 27-Nov-01 02:07 AM
34462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-23 and my F5"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Jim:
I remember well your initial posting.
I was just a bit concerned you could find it limiting in terms of GN, but otherwise it is a fine speedlight.
Congratulations on your purchase. Glad to know that is exactly what you were looking for.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Nikon_Freak Basic MemberTue 04-Dec-01 01:31 PM
1846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: SB-23 and my F5"
In response to Reply # 0

Mt. Juliet, US

I am glad that you are happy with this. I was thinking about getting this same flash for my F5 as a small unit for those special occasions where I just don't want to lug around my SB-28. If you got it on eBay you must have outbid me.

unkleboo Basic MemberSun 09-Dec-01 12:12 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "I just bought MY SB-23 on ebay..."
In response to Reply # 0

but have yet to receive it. I'm glad to see it works well for you on your F-5. I have an F100 and am hoping for similar results. It's actually my first foray into flash photography. The price was right but I dindn't even know how compatible it was until after I purchased it. Since then I've done some research and it seems that it will work just fine with my camera. For that I am thankful. Thanks for your contribution, it reinforces what I had hoped to be true.

Mr67GP Basic MemberSun 09-Dec-01 10:45 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I just bought MY SB-23 on ebay..."
In response to Reply # 3

Jackson Twp, US

The SB-23 is fine for basic P&S flash photography. Since it is quite limited in terms of external control, do not look to it as a replacement for the SB-26/27/28 in any real sense. It is the right tool for casual shooting when the -28 is not necessary. Well worth the money, IMO.

Jim Korczak
Evidence shooter
www.summitresources.com

Jim Korczak
Evidence Shooter
www.summitresources.com

unkleboo Basic MemberMon 10-Dec-01 07:20 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I just bought MY SB-23 on ebay..."
In response to Reply # 4

Yes, I am aware of the limitations of the 23. I lust for a SB-28 just can't afford it right now. I figure either way it was a no lose situation because I got it for cheap and can fiddle around with it to take shadows out of my nieces and nephews faces, etc. Thanks for your input.

unkleboo Basic MemberMon 10-Dec-01 07:25 AM
#6. "One other thing"
In response to Reply # 4

Jim, One other thing. I see in your original post you said you planned to test and share more info on the flash. I'd really appreciate knowing more about this. I don't know is this is convenient for you or not but if you have any things you'd like to offer and would be willing to share could you email me? I am staying in Italy right now and internet access is costly for me so I don't always have access to these messg. boards. I understand some people are busier than others so at the very least I'll keep checking these boards periodically. Thanks for your time.

www.geocities.com/peteolsen17

Mr67GP Basic MemberSun 16-Dec-01 11:41 PM
#7. "RE: One other thing"
In response to Reply # 6

Jackson Twp, US

Unkleboo,

I did some more testing with the -23. I used it as the main flash for some home studio work I was doing with multi-flash. It did not turn out too well. I should have used it as the slave, instead of the SB-28. Or, I need to diffuse the -23 with an Omnibounce. The only drawback of the -23, other than power (GN), is the inability to adjust its output. A wonderful flash, otherwise. I plan on doing some more playing with it. I also now know that I need another SB-28 and another SU-4 for multi-flash photography. Maybe two more.

Peace.

Jim Korczak
Evidence shooter
www.summitresources.com

Jim Korczak
Evidence Shooter
www.summitresources.com

unkleboo Basic MemberMon 17-Dec-01 07:21 AM
#8. "RE: One other thing"
In response to Reply # 7

Hey Jim. Thanks for the post. I have another question. How does the SB-23 do on a 28mm lens. I know its rated at 35mm but one or two posts I've read on it says that it works on 28mm lenses. Have you any experience with this flash and a lens that wide? I still haven't recieved the flash because I had it sent to my folks' address in the US so I'll have to be content asking questions about it until I actually have it in hand. Thanks, and happy holidays. Pete.

unkleboo Basic MemberMon 17-Dec-01 07:21 AM
#9. "RE: One other thing"
In response to Reply # 7

Hey Jim. Thanks for the post. I have another question. How does the SB-23 do on a 28mm lens. I know its rated at 35mm but one or two posts I've read on it says that it works on 28mm lenses. Have you any experience with this flash and a lens that wide? I still haven't recieved the flash because I had it sent to my folks' address in the US so I'll have to be content asking questions about it until I actually have it in hand. Thanks, and happy holidays. Pete.

Mr67GP Basic MemberMon 17-Dec-01 10:59 PM
#10. "RE: One other thing"
In response to Reply # 9

Jackson Twp, US

I have not used the SB-23 with anything less than 35mm yet, but I will. I'll post the results when I get the pics back.

Jim Korczak
Evidence shooter
www.summitresources.com

Jim Korczak
Evidence Shooter
www.summitresources.com

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 18-Dec-01 04:19 PM
18507 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: One other thing"
In response to Reply # 7

Rancho Cordova, US

Jim,

Question, is it possible to set flash compensation on the body? I know that you can set it on the N70.

Anthony

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Mr67GP Basic MemberSun 23-Dec-01 08:34 PM
#12. "RE: One other thing"
In response to Reply # 11

Jackson Twp, US

Flash compensation/output on the SB-23 is not adjustable via the body, not even with the F5. That is the one drawback to this unit. That is also another of the nice features of the N70, which I used to use extensively. I would love to see the F5n or F6 have a full featured built in flash like the new Minolta Maxxum 9 has.

Jim Korczak
Evidence shooter
www.summitresources.com

Jim Korczak
Evidence Shooter
www.summitresources.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #646 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.