nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #63106
View in linear mode

Subject: "Good, economical remote trigger set up." Previous topic | Next topic
cnl390 Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2007Mon 03-Mar-14 08:20 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Good, economical remote trigger set up."

San Antonio, US

I am currently using a D90 and an SB800 flash. And while I am comfortable with the Commander mode I would like to a) increase range b) not have to worry if the IF sender & sensor are correctly pointed at each other & c) I might like to add additional remotes.
Can you recommend a good reliable trigger and receiver that will not break the bank?
Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Good, economical remote trigger set up.
f5titan Gold Member
03rd Mar 2014
cnl390 Gold Member
03rd Mar 2014
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
04th Mar 2014
mfphoto1
04th Mar 2014
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
04th Mar 2014
cnl390 Gold Member
05th Mar 2014

f5titan Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Jul 2006Mon 03-Mar-14 08:48 PM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Good, economical remote trigger set up."
In response to Reply # 0

HILO, US

For many years I used the reliable Quantum series of RF remote triggers with Nikon F3's, Speedotron pack & head 800ws flash systems and Nikon flash components.
Today I use the PocketWizard PlusX (2 pack) RF system which is light weight and versatile.
There are many smaller, simpler (and less expensive) systems available.

"Great things are not done by impulse but by a series of small things brought together." Vincent Van Gogh

cnl390 Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2007Mon 03-Mar-14 10:03 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Good, economical remote trigger set up."
In response to Reply # 1

San Antonio, US

>For many years I used the reliable Quantum series of RF
>remote triggers with Nikon F3's, Speedotron pack & head
>800ws flash systems and Nikon flash components.
>Today I use the PocketWizard PlusX (2 pack) RF system which is
>light weight and versatile.
>There are many smaller, simpler (and less expensive) systems
>available.
>
Thanks for the input. I really like the PlusX and believe it is perfect for my level of photography. Now let me exhibit my ignorance. Will my D90 still control the SB800 or will both the camera and flash have to be set manually?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 04-Mar-14 08:06 PM
26997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Good, economical remote trigger set up."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Charles,

The Pocket Wizard Plus X is strictly Manual flash control and therefore Manual exposure control as well.

Best Regards,
Marty

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 04-Mar-14 12:27 AM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Good, economical remote trigger set up."
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

I use the cactus v5 system good for off camera flash and can also be used as remote shutter release. can also be setup as remote shutter release while triggering off camera flashes. http://www.adorama.com/CACWFTV5D.html?kbid=912610

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 04-Mar-14 08:21 PM
26997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Good, economical remote trigger set up."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Charles,

If you don't mind using Manual flash control the Pocket Wizard Plus X is extremely reliable. Paul C. Buff CyberSync's are another less expensive option.

If you want i-TTL flash control the Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 Transmitter combined with one or more FlexTT5 Transceivers are also very reliable. They can also be combined with other PW Transceivers (Plus II, Plus X, MultiMax) to remotely trigger the camera and or combine the Speedlights with Strobes.

Radio Poppers also has a System priced in the same ball park as PW though I have never tried them.

Best Regards,
Marty

cnl390 Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2007Wed 05-Mar-14 12:41 PM
#6. "RE: Good, economical remote trigger set up."
In response to Reply # 5

San Antonio, US

>Hi Charles,
>
>If you don't mind using Manual flash control the Pocket Wizard
>Plus X is extremely reliable. Paul C. Buff CyberSync's are
>another less expensive option.
>
>If you want i-TTL flash control the Pocket Wizard MiniTT1
>Transmitter combined with one or more FlexTT5 Transceivers are
>also very reliable. They can also be combined with other PW
>Transceivers (Plus II, Plus X, MultiMax) to remotely trigger
>the camera and or combine the Speedlights with Strobes.
>
>Radio Poppers also has a System priced in the same ball park
>as PW though I have never tried them.

I am bidding on a used Mini TT1 & Flex TT5 on ebay, but I also found a pro photographer here in town selling his entire lighting set up on craigs list. He has 3 PW Plus for $80.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #63106 Previous topic | Next topic