Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #631
View in linear mode

Subject: "S28 bound card" Previous topic | Next topic
napolean Basic MemberFri 23-Nov-01 11:16 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"S28 bound card"

Hong Kong, HK

Hi,

I have tried the S28, and found that it can pull out white bound card from the top.

Questions are:
1. When should I use it?
2. Should the flash pointed 180 degree upward to use it?
3. How is it different from the sto-fen two way bound card?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 23-Nov-01 04:40 PM
34857 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: S28 bound card"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-01 AT 05:41 PM (GMT)

I've seen the newspaper photogs use:
In interiors: the head tilted at 90 degrees, pointing towards the ceiling and the bounce card out to redirect light unto the subject in front.
In exteriors: the flash head tilted at 60 degrees, the built-in card out.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

napolean Basic MemberSat 24-Nov-01 12:41 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: S28 bound card"
In response to Reply # 1

Hong Kong, HK

Thks for your kindly response.

Then, can I just rely on the TTL, and no need to do explosure compensation for the indirect lighting?

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 24-Nov-01 01:12 AM
34857 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: S28 bound card"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

It has never failed me.
Take a look at it here
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Ed Basic MemberSat 24-Nov-01 05:34 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: S28 bound card"
In response to Reply # 3

US

You cannot "blindly" rely on TTL when tilting the flash head. The path of the light from the flash to the ceiling to the subject is more than double the distance from the flash straight to the subject (the distance that the flash LCD displays). Use too small an aperture, and you'd get underexposure.

Do this:
- eyeball the total distance from flash to ceiling to subject.
- before tilting the flash head, look at the distance scale.
- use an aperture that is 1 to 2 stops within the total distance you just eyeballed.
- tilt the flash head and take the picture.

If you have to work fast (weddings, party, etc.) and the above procedure bogs you down, use a fast film (at least ISO 400) and aperture-priority mode with aperture fixed on f/4. That should take care of most bounced flash exposures without worry.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #631 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.