nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Simple "studio" setup recommendations

rickysa

Southern Pines, US
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rickysa Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Dec 2012
Tue 03-Dec-13 10:52 PM

I currently have an octocool(box?) shoot-thru with a speedlight attachment and tripod. I'm using the pop-up in commander mode on my 7100. I'm using a custom PRE white balance setting as the room has light gray/purple wall and fluorescent lighting.

I was surprised to see the design of the Impact light-box has the speedlight firing directly into the metal umbrella mechanism??

My problem is that I'm not getting enough light on the subject, as the histogram is skewed significantly to the left, some clipping on the blacks. I have the flash set to full power and +2 e/v.

I need another light and wondered if another speedlight is required (I like using/learning the CLS) or if Nikon has another lighting product I could use as a dedicated second light source. Planning on another shoot thru umbrella.

Sorry if I'm not using the correct terms...I'm still new to this, having taken several Nikonians classes and reading the rockynook books on the issue, and we don't have a camera shop in town, so I thought I'd run it by you good folks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Simple "studio" setup recommendations

G