Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62570
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 flash sync speed?" Previous topic | Next topic
stash Gold Member Charter MemberMon 02-Dec-13 09:52 PM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 flash sync speed?"

Auburn, US

Subject D7100 on board flash.

When using on board flash and program mode, I found when I take a flash pic it's on the slow shutter side.

What SHOULD the flash sync and flash shutter be?
I think default its 1/15sec

I am still remembering old time and always thought it's should be 1/60.

Thanks for any help.

Stash

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 03-Dec-13 04:42 AM
25573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 flash sync speed?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Stash,

The Maximum Flash Sync Speed is 1/250th sec.

It depends on what mode you want to use and the effect that you want to capture. When using Rear Sync. mode you might prefer a longer shutter speed. When using Front Sync, a faster shutter speed might be preferred.

Check Custom Setting e2 Flash Shutter Speed.
You can set the minimum Shutter Speed from 1/60th sec. - 30 sec.
The Default setting is 1/60th sec.

Best Regards,
Marty

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberTue 03-Dec-13 08:30 PM
5985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 flash sync speed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Subject D7100 on board flash.
>
>When using on board flash and program mode, I found when I
>take a flash pic it's on the slow shutter side.
>
>What SHOULD the flash sync and flash shutter be?
>I think default its 1/15sec
>
>I am still remembering old time and always thought it's should
>be 1/60.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Stash

For most normal people shots indoors under artificial light, you want the flash sync speed to be 1/250th, which is also the maximum flash sync). This allows you to increase the shutter to a high enough speed to eliminate the ambient contribution on the subject in low ambient conditions. A good starting speed for low ambient conditions is 1/80th shutter. And it is almost always best to use the camera in Manual mode when shooting flash in low ambient conditions. Then the flash metering system will control the exposure on the subject.

The flash shutter speed only comes into play if you use camera P or A mode in low ambient light. The highest you can set it is 1/60th. The purpose is to reduce the amount of ghosting and motion blur in flash shots. 1/60th is generally the slowest shutter that you can hold the camera still enough to avoid camera motion ghosting.

I usually leave the Flash Sync at 1/250th and the Flash Shutter Speed at 1/60th.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62570 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.