Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62569
View in linear mode

Subject: "flash diffusers" Previous topic | Next topic
g2man Registered since 01st Dec 2013Mon 02-Dec-13 04:54 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"flash diffusers"

US

I was playing around and made my own no cost diffuser by cutting the bottom off a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. It fits perfectly over the head of my sb28-dx, dont even need a ruber band to keep it in place. Just to see what the results would be compaired to gary fong dffuse I shot a bunch of photos and I can't see much if any difference between my home made gadget and a $50.00 t $100.00 one. What do you all use as a diffuser?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

EYEBALLER Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2011Tue 03-Dec-13 07:01 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: flash diffusers"
In response to Reply # 0

Sterling Heights, US

>I was playing around and made my own no cost diffuser by
>cutting the bottom off a bottle of isopropyl alcohol. It fits
>perfectly over the head of my sb28-dx, dont even need a ruber
>band to keep it in place. Just to see what the results would
>be compaired to gary fong dffuse I shot a bunch of photos and
>I can't see much if any difference between my home made gadget
>and a $50.00 t $100.00 one. What do you all use as a
>diffuser?
That is pretty clever, good for you. I use the Gary Fong collapsible dome and I also use the large Rogue flash bender. The flash bender works good when I need or want a direct reflection and contrast, but I think the Gary Fong does a better job at getting the shadows out and throws out more light "everywhere" but tends to evenly wrap the light around a face which is not good if you want some contrast or one side of the face with a little different exposure. I guess you can't have it all, especially from one tiny speed light. Keep shooting!

EYEBALLER

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sat 07-Dec-13 12:33 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: flash diffusers"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 07-Dec-13 12:34 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

That's a pretty clever approach. I suspect most of us have experimented with various single flash modifiers. I have the flash benders, owned a Gary Fong collapsible dome for a minute, and tried various home-made "Tupperware" variations (testing their affect on white balance) along with the OEM diffusers that came with my flashes. After all of that I keep going back to my favorite - the Demb Flash Diffuser. Compact for carrying, very flexible configurations with an ability to both diffuse light and provide directional bounce. The price for that flexibility is as low as it gets for uncomplicated small plastic things in a low demand, low volume niche photographic market. I consider it the "Swiss Army Knife" of single flash modifiers. We all eventually settle on a favorite, but I like to let people know that thing is out there.

Visit my gallery.

Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Sun 05-Jan-14 03:35 PM
216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: flash diffusers"
In response to Reply # 2

Fort Kent, CA

Saw a DIY hint on some website I "stumbled" upon.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157631324422134/

Tried it out - had a promo-can cozy, a red one but with black interior, it fits fine, held in place by a simple elastic band. (Need to by me some broccoli and save that heavy duty rubber band they use to hold the stems together - and I need to eat more vegetables eh?)

Now to play around shooting with the snoot on.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62569 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.