nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62562
View in linear mode

Subject: "question about sb700 and sync chord" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008 Sat 30-Nov-13 06:54 PM
1444 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"question about sb700 and sync chord"

Hi everyone, am confusing myself all morning and have been reading and re-reading and am still confused. Okay, I have my sb700 off camera (d90) using my sync chord and set to master. Now do I set the flash manually, or from the camera's commander mode?
hmmmmmmmmm?

Darlene

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: question about sb700 and sync chord ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
30th Nov 2013
Reply message RE: question about sb700 and sync chord aolander Silver Member
30th Nov 2013
Reply message RE: question about sb700 and sync chord pasknucklehead Silver Member
01st Dec 2013
     Reply message RE: question about sb700 and sync chord JBS101 Silver Member
01st Dec 2013
     Reply message RE: question about sb700 and sync chord Scotty Silver Member
01st Dec 2013
     Reply message RE: question about sb700 and sync chord ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
01st Dec 2013
          Reply message RE: question about sb700 and sync chord pasknucklehead Silver Member
03rd Dec 2013

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Sat 30-Nov-13 08:34 PM
8550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: question about sb700 and sync chord"
In response to Reply # 0

I believe the sync cord is a PC cable? It carries no signal and simply triggers the flash. Take the flash out of master mode, set it to manual mode and dial in your desired power level. It might help, if we knew what you were trying to do or were expecting it to do.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

aolander Silver Member  Nevis, US  Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006 Sat 30-Nov-13 09:01 PM
3454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: question about sb700 and sync chord"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, do you mean an "old fashioned" sync cord or an SC-28 or something similar?

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

pasknucklehead Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008 Sun 01-Dec-13 01:52 AM
1444 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: question about sb700 and sync chord"
In response to Reply # 2

Sorry about that...it's the sc17 chord, and I just wanted to use my flash off camera...and to also fire my sb600. When I use my pop up flash to fire off the sb700 and sb600 it stops firing after so many repeated flashes and I have to sit and wait for the pop up flash to start again...I use the off camera flashes for my waterdrop photography and I have found that when I use the sync chord attached to the sb700, it keeps on going for a lot longer and fires off my sb 600. But where I got confused was I couldn't remember if I set the sb700 off camera to master and the camera itself to commander mode...I'm stuck trying to remember this...

Darlene

JBS101 Silver Member  Canberra, AU  Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009 Sun 01-Dec-13 05:07 AM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: question about sb700 and sync chord"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi Darlene,

If you are using the SC 17 attached to the SB 700 then you set up the SB700 as commander and the SB 600 as the remote. Incidentally, the SC 17 is the same as the SC 28 at least electrically. The only differences are the colour and the fact that it uses a screw down connector.

John

Scotty Silver Member  Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK  Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002 Sun 01-Dec-13 07:45 AM
4942 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: question about sb700 and sync chord"
In response to Reply # 3

so you use the SB700 on the cord the same as you would if it was on a hot shoe...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Sun 01-Dec-13 10:35 AM
8550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: question about sb700 and sync chord"
In response to Reply # 3

Don't use commander mode. That is for the pop up flash being used as the master. Think of the SC-17 as a hot shoe, as Alex mentions. It is a hot shoe extension. Put the SB700 in master mode and the SB 600 in remote and control your ratios from the SB700.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

pasknucklehead Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008 Tue 03-Dec-13 12:29 AM
#7. "RE: question about sb700 and sync chord"
In response to Reply # 6

Now I got it,,,thanks friends!

Darlene

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62562 Previous topic | Next topic