Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62540
View in linear mode

Subject: "d7000 speedlight question" Previous topic | Next topic
ChrisPrattPD Registered since 20th Oct 2013Sat 23-Nov-13 04:17 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d7000 speedlight question"

US

New to speed lights and looking for some direction....again in on a budget but would like something decent.

any advice or what to buy or not to buy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: d7000 speedlight question
Toby01 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2013
km6xz Moderator
23rd Nov 2013
ChrisPrattPD
25th Nov 2013
ericbowles Moderator
25th Nov 2013
blw Moderator
25th Nov 2013
micro Silver Member
25th Nov 2013
MEMcD Moderator
26th Nov 2013
ddjeffreys
28th Dec 2013

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Sat 23-Nov-13 05:19 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d7000 speedlight question"
In response to Reply # 0

El Sobrante, US

The Nikon sb700 and sb910 are both good, but if you want something less expensive, you should check the Nissin and Phottix Mitros units. You can get full i-TTL compatible units from both of those companies at good prices.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 23-Nov-13 07:01 PM
3346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d7000 speedlight question"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Chris, what is your intended subject matter? You might not need the more expensive iTTL CLS flash, or your subject and conditions might be needing a SB910. I've had a few different grades of flash units and each was a good step up from no flash. For fixed location multiple light source work, a few fully manual older flashes would be as effective as the much more expensive CLS compatible flash. For fixed home or small commercial studio speedlights are going to be more expensive than entry level strobes that generate a lot more power.
For ultimate flexibility, some portraits, outdoor daytime fill applications, wireless remote TTL, etc, the current line of SB700-910 are sure compelling.
Experimenting with speedlights and modifiers for portable portraiture and art projects is a lot of fun since any camera can get its best results with creative use of lighting. In the case of speedlights, a few in a small camera bag, lightweight stands or assistants and some modifiers, and there is no limit to the creative options.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

ChrisPrattPD Registered since 20th Oct 2013Mon 25-Nov-13 07:00 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d7000 speedlight question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I dont use one much but need one in my kit.

I would like ittl but wonder if anyone has bought any of the cheaper brands and had any good experiences?

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 25-Nov-13 08:27 PM
8695 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: d7000 speedlight question"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

As you have described your needs, the SB-700 is probably a better choice than the SB-910. If you can find a used SB-600 or SB-800 that has had light use, you should be able to save some money.

I think having a flash that can be used remotely with TTL is important. It makes good flash images a lot easier.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
2014 Workshops - Spring in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 25-Nov-13 09:22 PM
26720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: d7000 speedlight question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

This is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions...

You don't really use a flash much, you say, and if that trend continues, then some of the less expensive third party ones are probably fine. The main things that change the price are the ability to do remote flash (CLS, or "iTTL slave") and to a lesser degree, the power output. If you don't need a remote, and especially not a master, some of the flashes are quite nice and much less expensive than Nikon's main flashes, the SB-700 and SB-910. I've used Sigma flashes like the EF-530 and EF-610 NOT the Super models of the same number and they are about half the price of Nikons. As long as you're just going to use them in the hot shoe, they work nicely. Most of my flash work is, in fact, just a single flash in the shoe. Apparently some of the Nissin ones are similar, and Yongnuo also offers some even less expensive ones. Be careful with the Yongnuo ones: some of them are manual only, not iTTL, although they are priced accordingly.

If you decide to go with a remote or especially commander unit, just go for the Nikon units.

Most of the time, a basic unit is plenty. I have an SB-900 as a commander and three SB-600s intended mostly as remotes. But actually I find that the 900 is too big to be convenient, so if I'm just using one, it's usually the third SB-600 - its bounce capabilities and power are easily sufficient for most of my efforts. I think the current SB-700 is about the same size and power as the 600, although it's also mid-way between the 910 and the 600 in price. The 700's user interface (shared with the 900 and 910) is MUCH easier to work with than the SB-600/800, especially if you don't use flash that often.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Mon 25-Nov-13 11:52 PM
505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: d7000 speedlight question"
In response to Reply # 0

walkertown, US

I started out with a sb-600 when they still made them. could not afford a sb-800. I didn't think that I would use it much but wanted one.then I studied and practiced with it and found myself using it a lot. I actually use it more outside for fill flash than inside. I then got lucky and came across a sb-800 in very good shape for 200 bucks. been using it for years. I recently sold my sb-600 for 200 bucks to help fund my new d-7000. it's like being in heaven. going from a d-80 with sb-600 to a d-7000 with a sb-800. just some food for thought in case you end up liking to use flash more often than you thought that you would. its sorta like a camera,once you get better you often want better. the sb-600 is an excellent flash but I wanted a little more reach and I like the screen and menu better. hope this helps some. Troy

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 26-Nov-13 05:59 AM
26118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: d7000 speedlight question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Chris,

A Used SB-600 would be the least expensive Nikon i-TTL capable Speedlight I would recommend.

Do you have a specific budget in mind?

Best Regards,
Marty

ddjeffreys Registered since 11th Feb 2012Sat 28-Dec-13 04:36 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: d7000 speedlight question"
In response to Reply # 8

Warsaw, US

I use a d7000 with 2 Promaster strobes. I use a hot shoe mount to fire them remotely. I usually use a softbox with each one depending on conditions. They can also be fired as slaves using the onboard flash. I love them. I prefer a simple reflector and natural light but I always take them with me when I go out. As mentioned before, a couple of strobes and a light modifier can make a world of difference between a flat picture and one that really pops.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62540 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.