nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62521
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?" Previous topic | Next topic
aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Sat 23-Nov-13 04:22 AM
238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"

Hello Nikon family. I have a Novatron 240 kit and want to use pocket wizards to go wireless. I need to know which pocture wizard is best for me to set them off and does it come with the right hook up for what I have. Can anybody help me here? I see there is about at lease 3 diff pocket wizards out there for sell. I II III .

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Harold---Indiana-Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment? ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
23rd Nov 2013
Reply message RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment? aaatruck74 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2013
     Reply message RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment? ctadin Silver Member
23rd Nov 2013
     Reply message RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment? aaatruck74 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2013
     Reply message RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment? ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
23rd Nov 2013
23rd Nov 2013
               Reply message RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment? MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
24th Nov 2013
24th Nov 2013
                         Reply message RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment? MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
24th Nov 2013
25th Nov 2013
25th Nov 2013
26th Nov 2013
28th Nov 2013
28th Nov 2013
28th Nov 2013
29th Nov 2013
29th Nov 2013
29th Nov 2013
29th Nov 2013
19th Dec 2013
19th Dec 2013

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Sat 23-Nov-13 12:35 PM
8546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 0

Harold the Plus III is in current production and has the capability of controlling 4 groups. It has 32 channels, 16 that work with groups. The others are obsolete. So, depending on your budget, I would advise getting the Plus III units.

The I and II units are either transmitters or receivers. The Plus II and Plus III are transceivers. So if you get any number of them, the plus units are more versatile in the event one unit goes down. I have the II's and Plus IIs. The prior are 12 years old and all still working fine.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Sat 23-Nov-13 01:47 PM
238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Scott>>> So I need to go with at lease the Plus II's or if the $ is right go with the Plus III's. I think I did see that the II's were transcivers and wanted to know if that was better. That way , like you said I could use them both ways right!!!!!! I thank you for all your help.

Harold in Indy--Nikonian--Indiana

ctadin Silver Member  St Louis, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008 Sat 23-Nov-13 02:16 PM
1108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 2

Harold,
Pocket Wizard is currently offering a rebate on their Pocket Wizard Radios.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/upload/photos/1056MACGroup_PocketWizard_FallPromotion_2013_rebate_form.pdf

I have and use the Pocket Wizard Plus II's.

Cheryl

aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Sat 23-Nov-13 10:27 PM
#5. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks Cheryl for your help. I'm looking for sure.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Sat 23-Nov-13 09:42 PM
8546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 2

IIs are not tranceivers, Plus IIs are. Plus indicates tranceiver.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Sat 23-Nov-13 10:29 PM
#6. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks Scott. I'm sure I will be looking for the Plus II's so I can have tranceivers and can use them both the same way.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Sun 24-Nov-13 05:44 AM
27593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 6

Hi Harold,

The Pocket Wizard Plus X transceivers are currently $84.00 after the $15.00 rebate. They have 10 channels compared to the Plus II's 4.

Best Regards,
Marty

aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Sun 24-Nov-13 04:13 PM
#8. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 7

Cool Thanks Marty. My Novatron kit has a box that fires off both flashes stobes. Does the Pocket Wizards come with these cables or do I have to find n but the right one for mine to plug in from my controll box to the Pocket wizard??? Didn't know if the kit might come with any cable hookups. Please let me know.
Thanks in advance,

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Sun 24-Nov-13 10:40 PM
27593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 8

Hi Harold,

Pocket Wizard Transceivers usually ship with a PC to 1/8" Miniphone sync cord.
The Novatron 240V Pack has a Household type Sync Port.
You will need an 1/8" Miniphone to Household Sync Cord.
Like the Pocket Wizard 16" Household to Miniphone Sync Cord .

Best Regards,
Marty

aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Mon 25-Nov-13 04:05 AM
#10. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 9

Thanks again Marty
That is what I thought too. Wow!!! just Love this site for information. I could have been all over the place trying to find out this stuff that I need and here I have Nikonian guys that are using this equipment and that make it all worth being on this site. This cable goes to the wizard from the 240v pack right!!! The wizard on top of the camera > does it need a cable to? from wizard to camera side? Wasn't sure if the wizard bottom fire off the hotshoe??? Let me know?

Thanks again for all your help.

aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Mon 25-Nov-13 02:42 PM
#11. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 10

Hay Marty
I found my answer to my ? about the cable. Thank you for all your help again.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Tue 26-Nov-13 06:12 AM
#12. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 10

Hi Harold,

You have it right!
The 1/8" Miniphone side of the MH1 cord plugs into the Flash Port on the PW Transceiver (Receiver) and the Household plug side plugs into the Novatron 240V' sync port.

The PW Transceiver (Transmitter) goes in the cameras hotshoe.

Make sure that both Transceivers are set to the same channel.

Best Regards,
Marty

aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Thu 28-Nov-13 05:42 PM
#13. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 12

Thanks again Marty. One more ?. Does all the pocket wizard work together? Like the plus n plus II 's Can you use them in different sets together at the same time on same channel? Let me know.

Harold

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Thu 28-Nov-13 06:39 PM
#14. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 13

They can all harmonize as basic triggers on channels 1 through 4.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Thu 28-Nov-13 08:55 PM
#15. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 13

Hi Harold,

The original PW I, II, and Plus II units are 4 channel units (Channels 1-4).
The Plus X has 10 channels (1-10).
The Plus III's have 32 Channels (1-16, and 17-32 Quad triggering).
The Multi-Max's have 32 Channels (1-16, and 17-32 Quad triggering).
The Mini-TT1 and Flex TT5 have 32 standard channels and 20 Control TL channels.
All support basic triggering on channels 1-4.
Note: There are FCC models (North America) and CE models (Europe) that use different frequencies that are not compatible with each other.

Best Regards,
Marty

aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Fri 29-Nov-13 03:33 AM
#16. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 15

OK I think I have it now. The I'S II'S & PLUS II'S can talk to each other in the same group 1-4 channel???? right. Because I was wondering if I had brought I'S would it talk to a plus II if I got one of them also. I think I understand now. As long as they are on the same channel 1-4

Harold

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Fri 29-Nov-13 09:38 AM
#17. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 16

Yes, at a minimum, all of their radios operate on the standard channels 1-4. As Marty detailed, some units have other channels as well that offer extended capabilities, such as groups and CLS like capabilities.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Fri 29-Nov-13 01:24 PM
#18. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 17

Thank you again Scott for all the information on these pocket wizards. I'm really very happy that I join this site years ago. The information found here is really a lot of help and let Nikon users be able to find out about things before they buy something. That is all worth the money for this site. Priceless information if you ask me.
Again I thank all of you for your help.

Harold

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Fri 29-Nov-13 01:48 PM
#19. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 18

Glad we could help Harold, and glad you are here as part of our community!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

aaatruck74 Silver Member  Indianapolis, US  Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008 Thu 19-Dec-13 11:00 AM
#20. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 19

Hello Scott. Just wanted to thank all of you again for youe help. I have my Wizards now for a few weeks and LOVED them. I couldn't do it without you guys helping me along the way with your information on them. I feel like I WAS IN school ALL OVER AGAIN LEARNING. lol Have a great day everyone. This Nikonian Site is the Bomb. That means Great. LOL Take care Scott,
Thanks again

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography   Powder Springs, US  Charter Member Thu 19-Dec-13 05:41 PM
#21. "RE: Need advice on using Pocket Wizards on equipment?"
In response to Reply # 20

Great! I like to hear a success story.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA

Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62521 Previous topic | Next topic