Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62517
View in linear mode

Subject: "White Balance W/ Flash?" Previous topic | Next topic
Jamed600 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013Fri 22-Nov-13 03:38 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"White Balance W/ Flash?"

Naperville, US

I am new to flash photography and trying to learn the basics. I am using the SB-700 and 910 with a D600. I assumed the camera would set WB to 'flash' automatically when a flash was mounted but it appears that is not the case. With diffuser and bounce in lighted family room WB as shot was 5100. Changing to 'Flash' in Elements brought it to 5500 which looked right. So I assume I should be manually setting the camera WB to Flash?
Second question. We have a very 'Tuscan' themed family room which reads very warm + incandescent lighting. Shooting available light I have used a gray card and set a custom white balance. Could I do the same with bounce flash using either a gray card or Expodisc? Or would the changing mix of flash/background light as I moved around the room (shooting grandkids Christmas morning) defeat the purpose?
Thanks for any help/advise.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 22-Nov-13 09:33 PM
8508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: White Balance W/ Flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

James:

Welcome to Nikonians. I hope your time with us will be rewarding.

When you get a minute, please fill out your profile, as it helps us provide more accurate answers to your questions.

Nikon's value for speedlights is 5,400 K, a fairly blue/white light, and incandescent (tungsten) is 3,000 K, a yellow/reddish light. Subject illuminated by widely differing color temperature illuminants can often look a bit off, particularly skin tones.

When shooting indoors with incandescent and speedlight, you will probably get the best results by placing the incandescent filter on your SB700 and setting the camera's white balance to incandescent. This will provide a fairly uniform color temperature illumination of the subjects. It also eliminates the task of working with a gray card/Expodisc, and should minimize post processing white balance adjustments.

The goal is to try and provide as uniform color temperature illumination of the subjects as possible. When faced with two or more widely differing color temperature illuminants, and using gels on speedlights is not going to correct everything, you have two choices: 1) Select the preset or custom white balance value that is closest to the dominant illuminant, or 2) Select the Auto white balance.

Colored Christmas lights are small enough and do not shed much lights on subjects, so should not be a problem. If they are incandescent, they will fit right in.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Jamed600 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013Sat 23-Nov-13 08:04 PM
189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: White Balance W/ Flash?"
In response to Reply # 1

Naperville, US

HBB, Thanks for the response. I had assumed I couldn't use the snap on filters in combination with the diffusion dome but now find I can fit both so will try as you suggest. Also reread WB section of Tom Hagen's book and it all is starting to make sense.
Will fill out profile as you suggest (at the risk of demonstrating my lack of experience/skill), thanks again, Jim B

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSat 23-Nov-13 08:35 PM
8508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: White Balance W/ Flash?"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Jim:

Nikonians is a learning, sharing, community. We have hundreds of thousands of members, from beginners to professionals, and a great team of moderators, all willing to help.

We were all beginners at one time. There is no question that is too basic. Feel free to ask.

When working with white balance, keep in mind that your eye/brain system is doing a lot of processing for you at an unconscious level, presenting you with what you expect to see, which isn't always what you are actually seeing. Example: A white dress shirt will appear white when viewed under reddish/yellow tungsten illumination at 3,000 K, and under blue/white daylight at 5,200 K and above. With practice, you can learn to turn this process off, and view colors more accurately, which helps with white balance selection.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62517 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.