nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

White Balance W/ Flash?

Jamed600

Naperville, US
243 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Jamed600 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013
Fri 22-Nov-13 02:38 PM

I am new to flash photography and trying to learn the basics. I am using the SB-700 and 910 with a D600. I assumed the camera would set WB to 'flash' automatically when a flash was mounted but it appears that is not the case. With diffuser and bounce in lighted family room WB as shot was 5100. Changing to 'Flash' in Elements brought it to 5500 which looked right. So I assume I should be manually setting the camera WB to Flash?
Second question. We have a very 'Tuscan' themed family room which reads very warm + incandescent lighting. Shooting available light I have used a gray card and set a custom white balance. Could I do the same with bounce flash using either a gray card or Expodisc? Or would the changing mix of flash/background light as I moved around the room (shooting grandkids Christmas morning) defeat the purpose?
Thanks for any help/advise.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G