Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62492
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB 910 preflashes in manual mode ?? Why" Previous topic | Next topic
hankwt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2012Wed 20-Nov-13 09:31 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB 910 preflashes in manual mode ?? Why"

kingsville, CA

Im using my SB 910 with my D800e Flash in manual mode Camera in manual mode .... I think I am missing a setting somewhere because i get preflashes - I thought in manual there was no preflash as I am in control so the flash does not need feed back from preflashes. I am going squirrly with this. Ive checked and rechecked the manual but i guess i cant see the forest because of the trees are preflashed !!

So ..... help me what am i missing ??

BW- Big Wayner My motocross kid is faster than your A student !!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB 910 preflashes in manual mode ?? Why
ScottChapin Moderator
21st Nov 2013
GBaylis Silver Member
21st Nov 2013
Ineluki Gold Member
21st Nov 2013
hankwt Silver Member
21st Nov 2013
Arkayem Moderator
22nd Nov 2013

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 21-Nov-13 12:16 AM
8055 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB 910 preflashes in manual mode ?? Why"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I've never really paid attention to that. My guess is that perhaps in manual mode, the camera is trying to balance ambient light? Are you shooting in manual mode or an auto mode? In manual mode I would think it would not pre-flash, but maybe so in an auto mode. Hal and Russ would probably know.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

GBaylis Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2012Thu 21-Nov-13 07:42 AM
237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB 910 preflashes in manual mode ?? Why"
In response to Reply # 0

Oakford, Devon, GB

Is what you are seeing actually a pre-flash from the SB910 or the modeling flash from the camera? Have you got E4 set to "OFF"?

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my personal website: www.gbphotosandframing.co.uk

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Thu 21-Nov-13 08:22 AM
2726 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB 910 preflashes in manual mode ?? Why"
In response to Reply # 0

Nürnberg, DE

Think you have red-eye reducing set on your camera.

Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

hankwt Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2012Thu 21-Nov-13 01:12 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB 910 preflashes in manual mode ?? Why"
In response to Reply # 3

kingsville, CA

>Think you have red-eye reducing set on your camera.
>
>Egbert

you are absoutely right How did i miss red eye !!! thanks all !!!

in regards to those red eye preflashes is it normal to have 3 preflashes ( which i was getting) or is the number dependant on ambient light ??

BW- Big Wayner My motocross kid is faster than your A student !!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 22-Nov-13 02:11 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB 910 preflashes in manual mode ?? Why"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>>Think you have red-eye reducing set on your camera.
>>
>>Egbert
>
>you are absoutely right How did i miss red eye !!! thanks
>all !!!
>
>in regards to those red eye preflashes is it normal to have
>3 preflashes ( which i was getting) or is the number
>dependant on ambient light ??
>

Yes, it is normal to get several (not sure if it is always three), preflashes in Red-Eye mode. The flash is trying to cause the subject's pupils to contract so there won't be as much area for reflections from the retinas to occur. I have never found that it works very well, if at all, so I never use it.

The best way to avoid Red-Eye is to get the flash farther above the lens, so the retina reflections go below the camera and are not in the image. I use a flash bracket for this, especially when using a long telephoto lens, which is when the problem is the worst.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62492 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.