Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62459
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-700 Sensor Window Location?" Previous topic | Next topic
Jamed600 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013Sun 17-Nov-13 05:12 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-700 Sensor Window Location?"

Naperville, US

I am new to Flash Photography but would like to learn. Two questions:
1. The Sensor window is located on the right side (looking from the back) of the flash and I assume when the flash is used as a slave it must be in line of sight of the Pop-up flash being used as the commander. Therefore the SB-700 would have to be mounted to the left of the camera. Now if I wanted to add another SB-700 or 910 on the right side would that flash receive the commander's signal because the sensor window would be pointing away from the camera?
I guess the one on the right could be mounted pointing away from the subject and into an umbrella as long as the umbrella didn't block line of sight to the commander?
2. If I am shooting Aperture Preferred the viewfinder will show my F stop, ISO and I assume the shutter speed that is set the for available light but not the speed that will be used when the flash fires. Is there a way to know this before the shot or must I just take a test shot and then read the file data?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Pete Wilson Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2004Sun 17-Nov-13 07:24 PM
851 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-700 Sensor Window Location?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Orion, US

If your shooting indoors there is usually no problem with having the sensor pointing away from the commander. I have set up flashes around the corner (in a different room) from the commander and it triggers just fine. The commander signals bounce off the walls and trigger the flash. Outdoors is when you may run into some issues and need to have the sensor window facing the commander.

Pete Wilson
Nikonian from Lake Orion, Michigan
My Nikonians gallery

Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the
camera

RECONLEY Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jun 2012Sun 17-Nov-13 07:45 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-700 Sensor Window Location?"
In response to Reply # 0

Marietta, US

If you rotate the flash head 180 degrees you can put the flash where ever you like.

Jamed600 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2013Sun 17-Nov-13 08:02 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-700 Sensor Window Location?"
In response to Reply # 2

Naperville, US

Oh, Rotate the head, Yes, I see (shows how much I know about my flash). Thanks, still curious about shutter speed.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 18-Nov-13 10:55 PM
25006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-700 Sensor Window Location?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi James,

>1. The Sensor window is located on the right side (looking
>from the back) of the flash and I assume when the flash is
>used as a slave it must be in line of sight of the Pop-up
>flash being used as the commander. Therefore the SB-700 would
>have to be mounted to the left of the camera. Now if I wanted
>to add another SB-700 or 910 on the right side would that
>flash receive the commander's signal because the sensor window
>would be pointing away from the camera?
>I guess the one on the right could be mounted pointing away
>from the subject and into an umbrella as long as the umbrella
>didn't block line of sight to the commander?

As stated above, just rotate the flash head as required.
Indoors in a room with white or light colored walls and ceiling the remote Speedlights will usually work just fine even when they are behind subjects, or walls because the light from the Master will bounce and the remotes will usually detect the reflection and work perfectly. In dark colored rooms or outdoors it is more critical to make sure the sensor window is aimed at the Master.

>2. If I am shooting Aperture Preferred the viewfinder will
>show my F stop, ISO and I assume the shutter speed that is set
>the for available light but not the speed that will be used
>when the flash fires. Is there a way to know this before the
>shot or must I just take a test shot and then read the file
>data?

With a Speedlight mounted on the camera and turned On in TTL mode the actual shutter speed to be used will be shown in the viewfinder display. The metering system will include the Speedlight in the calculations. If you want to check the exposure for the ambient light level, turn the Speedlight Off. One thing to remember is to set the ISO manually when using flash. Auto ISO and flash do not play well together.
Unless the ambient light level is very bright, the camera will usually set the shutter speed to 1/60th sec. With the Speedlight On.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #62459 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.