Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #624
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket" Previous topic | Next topic
benhurab Basic MemberThu 22-Nov-01 11:05 AM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-01 AT 01:13 PM (GMT)

After a fairly extensive research with the help of Jrp and other Nikonians I’ve decided to go with Stroboframe Camera Flip bracket. I am going to purchase this bracket mainly because it claims to offer the most flash positioning and aiming possibilities and the best bracket for use with a tripod even though it won’t be as compact and light weight as Quick Flip 350 bracket of the same range.

I suppose this bracket is going to work well with MB-17 attached to my N65.

Any further advice in relation to this choice is most appreciated.

p.s. As I've been made to understand:
Camera Flip bracket=Camera-rotating type config &
Quick Flip bracket=Flash- rotating type config
Right?

ben

"Eureka!"-Archimedes ca. 287-212 BC
"Nikon!"-Nikonians 2001 AD

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket
Lefty
23rd Nov 2001
meerkat
23rd Nov 2001
benhurab
23rd Nov 2001
jrp Administrator
23rd Nov 2001
benhurab
24th Nov 2001
meerkat
24th Nov 2001

Lefty Basic MemberFri 23-Nov-01 04:45 AM
711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

Virginia Beach, US

Ben
I think the Camera Flip will work with the MB-17...how well, I don't know. B&H says that this bracket is NOT designed for use with large motordrives/battery packs. Your MB-17 isn't that large so it might work. It's designed for you to grip the cushioned handle with your left hand, while you hold your camera at the grip on the right...so if/when you need to zoom or focus, you must then change your left hand to the lens.

I've got the Pro-RL and have been using it with great results with my N70, no probs. When I got my N90S w/MB-10 grip, I ran into a slight problem when using my 70-300 lens. As I rotated my camera for a verticle shot, the lens bumped into & was scraping the upper flash bracket, (due to the added height of the grip). I say 'slight' because I overcame the problem since the Pro-RL adjusts the bracket height up to an additional 7 inches. I've included some of the features it's got here:
"The Pro-RL is loaded with new features and represents a major advance in handling speed and ease of use. It's supported comfortably with your left hand, leaving your right hand free to operate all camera and bracket controls. It is the best Stroboframe bracket to use with a tripod.
Net weight: 33 oz., Bracket Height: 14"
•  Rotate your camera instantly and effortlessly from vertical to horizontal while the flash remains centered over the lens.
•  Exclusive, one-hand TiltTrigger™ lets you set the flash angle to any of 12 click-stop positions.
•  One-handed flash height adjustment. You can position the flash 11 to 18" above the lens, simply by twisting a knob and lifting the flash arm." these two features are worth the extra money...IMO!

I recommend this one highly, but you may be able to get away with the simple Camera Flip at half the price. I've used the added features that the Pro-RL has - multiple times, so I feel that I've gotten my money's-worth out of 'upgrading'.

Cheers!
"Shoot pictures,enjoy life in between!"

Chris
(Lefty)

Taylor

Cheers,
Chris

(Lefty)color="white"]
Taylor
You're
only as good as your last
shot!

meerkat Basic MemberFri 23-Nov-01 05:11 AM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

silly-can valley, US

I use it for my F80 + mb-16 grip.

It has 2 flash positions. one is totally vertical
with len no matter camera flip or not provided
the camera has no grip.

The other one is align with len if camera is in
portrait mode while grip is on, as you can imagine
it is not align when camera is in landscape mode,
kind of inconvenient for me.

I guess the same story for your N65

meerkat

benhurab Basic MemberFri 23-Nov-01 11:55 AM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Chris, Hi Meerkat,

Thanks guys for the info. My decision is now hanging in the balance since I read Chris’s message. Anyway before I came to the final decision, just wondering whether I also need an Anti-Twist Plate along with the bracket due to the following reason:

“Nikon's SC-17 TTL sync cord, when mounted to a flash bracket tends to twist or rotate on the mounting screw. Stroboframe offers a solution with a specific Anti-Twist Plate. It acts as an interface between the SC-17 and the bracket, pin-registers to the bracket and conforms to cord's mount. This locks the SC-17 to the bracket to prevent twisting”. Source: B&H.

Do you guys have this plate as well?

ben

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 23-Nov-01 03:32 PM
34462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket"
In response to Reply # 3

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Yes. I use anti-twist plates both for the camera and the flash
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

benhurab Basic MemberSat 24-Nov-01 01:33 AM
#5. "RE: Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket"
In response to Reply # 4

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-01 AT 04:59 AM (GMT)

Thanks Jrp for additional information regarding camera anti twist plate. I also concur with Chris that the features of Pro-RL worth the extra money and I’d definitely go for it now.

ben

meerkat Basic MemberSat 24-Nov-01 04:55 AM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket"
In response to Reply # 3

silly-can valley, US

I do not use anti-twist and did not experience problem yet.

But if I were you I would buy one for more security,
actually I tried to order one along with the bracket but it was
out of stock then.

meerkat

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #624 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.